Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

My 2022 Iowa season.

Getting ready for my elk hunt I've been walking with the backpack, going to the fitness center every morning, and eating a lot healthier. Decided today I better get the muzzleloader out and put a few rounds through with open sights Hotter than hell outside so I only did five shots at 25 yards. Not to bad for just putting the sights on. Made a few minor adjustments but I'm just getting started.
20220719_193151.jpg

I spent some time at the cabin over the last 3 days. The fishing was terrible but it was nice getting on the water and the weather was gorgeous. I did a little scouting on some public ground and found a promising area that I haven't hunted in the past. Put 4 miles on the new boots with the backpack on. Everything seemed to feel good getting ready for my elk hunt.

I'm 22 days out from leaving for colorado. I took the muzzleloader to the range today after work and got it sighted in at 100 yards. I plan on doing a couple more range days before the trip. This weekend the truck is getting an oil change and new brakes. It's time to really get organized and ready to go.

Time for a recap from my colorado elk hunt. I ll tell ya right from the beginning that the trip was cut short do to a pinched nerve in my hip.

I drove half way on Friday and finished the drive early Saturday morning. I arrived midmorning and did a little scouting the roads and trails. Somewhat had a plan for the evening hunt so I got my camp setup.

20220910_165257.jpg

After a snack I head out for a hunt. I park at a trail that heads off to the south through a drainage. I follow the trail for a short ways and then I veer off to the right and climb up to a nice glassing spot. Had a prevailing wind carrying my sent away from the north facing slope I was watching. Did I mention that area 22 is about as dry as possibly could be? Well it freaking is.

In the bottom of the drainage it looks like some nice greenery for animals to eat. I'm thinking how dry it is this should be a perfect spot off a nice shady north slope. After glassing for about 2 hours I glance to the left and I ll be dammed there's a brown animal at about 150 yards down the slope. My adrenaline kicked in and I thought this cannot be possible on the first day of my first elk hunt. Well I pull up the binos and the first thing I notice is the long stringy black tail. Yeah it's a dam horse.

It's was fun having a little excitement for a minute but a let down to see it was a horse. After that I saw 2 more horses. I'm assuming they were wild horses but it is what it is. At dark I head back to camp for supper.

20220911_060014.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back