Caribou Gear

My 2015 Oregon Coast Blacktail

Joe Hulburt

Nothing too exciting but figured I might as well post it for those of you thinking of heading out here to hunt them some day. For a public land buck this close to the ocean this one is pretty representative. Just a fork but a mature large bodied buck as far as Columbia Blacktails go. His right eye was swollen up pretty good from antler punctures all around it so I'm pretty sure he was wishing he had larger antlers more than I was. ;) Really solid body but some of our blacktail only ever amount to a fork. The last fork I killed in this area was aged at 6 1/2 years old. I pulled a tooth on this guy to see about him. The last buck I killed in the same area was a small 3x3 that was aged at 8 1/2.

I was still hunting down this razor back ridge glassing down into the timber and saw him moving up towards the top thru the brush. When he hit the ridge top he was peeking around the tree my rifle is leaned against and I was on the top peeking around another tree. I had to step out and shoot offhand hit right at the bottom of the white throat patch with him facing straight on....he never knew what hit him.

I hunted about 10 days and saw eleven total deer with 2 being bucks. 20 years ago it wasn't unusual to see 10 bucks in one clearcut in a morning. We really need a good fire to open up some habitat.....things are getting really bleak on the National Forest ground I primarily hunt. Thankful just to have a little venison from around home.

Last edited:
I want to do this hunt.Big28hunter did well on his trip this year.I'd be happy with that buck off public ground.Love the dark racks they have there.Congrats on filling your freezer on a tough animal to hunt

Well done! My pard and I have a trip for them penciled in near the top of our list. I think that is some pretty cool country.

Kinda disappointed that the 30-30 didn't get chosen. ;)

I want to do this hunt.Big28hunter did well on his trip this year.I'd be happy with that buck off public ground.Love the dark racks they have there.Congrats on filling your freezer on a tough animal to hunt

Did Big28hunter post pics? I never saw them. I wondered how it went for him.

Good buck,Joe. Looks like the new knee is doing all right?

It's not an actual new knee just a Kinespring implant.....I posted about it here.....

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=261592

The idea is to avoid having to replace the knee until I am older. Not sure I am sold on the thing! The knee is strong as can be now but due to the large metal object rubbing on the saphronous nerve it gets really irritated when I go very hard. I overdid it in September and couldn't hunt very hard for blacktail until the last few days of season in early November. Going in on Dec 9th to talk about maybe removing the spring....

He didn't post them here yet,but sounds like the group did very well.Wish I would have had time to join him

Just got the age back on this buck and he was 5 1/2 which is about what I was guessing. What blacktails lack in antler size they make up for in beauty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back