PEAX Equipment

My 2013 Elk season

ElkRx

It is sad to see the season come to an end, but fun/rewarding to look back on the memories made and success shared. Now its time to start planning for next year.

I killed my bull on the last day I was going to be able to hunt, and even though he was not the biggest bull on the mountain that morning I was very happy to get him (My second Bull and first with a rifle). That day I headed out early, and hiked back into the spot I wanted to be about 45 min before shooting light. It wasn't long before I heard a bull bugle in front of me at about 200yards. He continued bugling every now and then, and I could tell he was slowly moving into the trees. Assuming he had cows with him I kept my distance, but tried to shadow them until it was legal shooting light. After about 30 long minutes of making my way just below the elk at the head of a drainage shooting light finally arrived. I began making soft cow calls and sure enough some cows began coming down the drainage past me at about 50 yards. Two bulls ripped off bugles, one sounded like a nice bull and the other was a little squealer. One minute later I see antlers coming though the trees above me. It was the little guy standing there facing me at 40 yards. I debated on waiting to see if the bigger bull would make his way past me, but felt that having this bull at 40 yards was a gift I could not pass. One shot and he slid/stumbled about 60 yards before wadding up into some trees (Very steep country, picture doesn't do it justice). After giving thanks to the man up stairs for the blessing, I got to work quartering him up and packing him out. It took about an hour or so to quarter him up, tough to do by yourself, and then another 6 hours to get him to the four wheeler. Below are some pictures (from field to table and my effort at taxidermy). I think I am going to dub my four wheeler the "Meat Wagon".

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 609
  • meat wagon.JPG
    meat wagon.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 610
  • steaks.JPG
    steaks.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 615
  • heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 611
Friends first bull

Here is a bull my friend shot this year. It was his first bull, and as you can imagine he still has an ear to ear grin! I have to admit I think I was just as excited as he was. It is very cool to be able to be there when someone shoots their first bull!

Attachments

• matts bull.jpg
    matts bull.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 575
  • matts skull.jpg
    matts skull.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 583
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members