My 2011 Pronghorn hunt

Duck-Slayer

well, too say it was dismal would be an understatement, I ruined my 9 years in a row with my bow, this year would have been 10 if I would have harvested, it all started out with our annual 10 days before the season trip too scout and put out blinds, well as I found the antelope were so spread out in the particular area I go too cuz there was water everywhere, all the ponds, springs, lakes were overflowing and this was the end of August, which is not good, so we abandoned putting anything up.

Well I spoke with my dad and wife and we decided too go to an area that we hunted about 4 years previous, we left this area cuz of all the people that had started using this area and thought they owned all the water holes, so we just picked up and found a new area, well back too now, of coarse we were there 2 days before the season started too scout and put out 2 blinds for my wife and I too sit in, well all the "good" water holes were taken, so we put our's up on two so so waterholes,

Day 1: was probably the best day of the trip, about 9:30 a.m. a little 6" buck came right in too 15 yards, well my wife's first antelope that I put on the wall for her was just like this buck so she chose too pass and I won't put my tag on one like that, that was it for Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, we did not see a single animal come too water at the hole we were sitting at, so evening of Day 3 I moved the blind too a different location/hole, back too the end of day 1, we made an awesome stalk on a 2x2 and 2x3 mule deer bucks, and this particular unit is a 2 point only for general season, and we bumped the in the tall sage at 12 yards and ran out too 50 and stopped had time too range and my arrow fell off my string as I was drawing 3 times, so the 2x2 had moved out of range but the bigger 2x3 was standing in his tracks so I got my bow drawn with the arrow still on the string and put my 50 right behind his shoulder, smack, drilled him, maybe a touch high but non-the-less it was a good shot, I told my wife too watch him cuz he was going too go down well, too my disappointment he did not, he went over a hill about 100 yards away, so I told her that I checked him in the bino's and was bleeding good, so we went back about 100 yards and got the backpack and continued over too where I had shot the buck, found my arrow, complete pass through except the fletching did not make it out of him before they broke off in his shoulder when he took off, well we found small tracks of blood here and there and looked for 3 hours for this buck and he just disappeared in the tall sage and rocks, that just about ruined the trip for me, I go into a "funk", we came back the next morning and looked but too no-avail, well we spotted 4 doe's and 3 fawns while we were looking for my buck, but after we decided that I could not find him, I went on another stalk for a doe, well got too 52 yards and did everything I was suppose too and well shot right over here back..... grrr..... now i'm getting really mad......

on the way back with the blind, a 2 point happened too cross the trail and well it was on, stopped hopped off got bow out, didn't range like and idiot got too rushed, and guess 30 yards well try more like 37 shot right under him, take a couple of bounds, range him this time 51 yards perfect, well I flinched like no other cuz I was already mad about the first shot and well the arrow went who know's where, got so mad I threw my new z7, and well that was a mistake, busted off my AMP sight, grrrr.....

so got back, went set up blind came back, with little light left now I found an old sight in my bow box and rigged it too hold my amp sight, "busted the arm" and shot in my dad's headlights too make sure it was on, well too my knowledge the "new" rigged arm did not hold the sight tight and was moving left and right while in the case riding too and from the blind and stalking location's, so the rest of the trip was pretty crappy, I passed on 3 50 yard shots cuz my confidence was in the trash,

so the second too last day I was bummed and driving back too the camper and happeded too come across 9 mule deer, 2 - 2x2's,1 - 3x3, 3 doe's, and 3 fawns, I figured what the heck, stopped inched my way closer, they started too get nervous at 52 yards I ranged a 2 point, checked my sight and said let's do this, drew, anchored, settled my pin, released, and whack, drilled him... ran about 20 yards and was done, FINALLY, got me a deer, and the antelope hunting was very uneventful, a couple of stalks too 80 yards, but I don't shoot that far...... -YET-, getting a slider next year.....:D

Here are a few picture's and a couple of video clips.....
Matt

DSC_0286.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back