My 2007 Dall Sheep Hunt

Ovis

My 2007 Dall Sheep Hunt (Updated 11 Sep @ 1030Z)

Last winter I was awarded a coveted dall sheep tag in Alaska's Delta Controlled Use Area. There are a total of 150 tags for this area; 75 for an early season and 75 for a late season. The early season restricts (for the most part) motorized vehicles from entering the area...the latter does not. I drew the second season.

I recruited the help of a great friend who was a one time Survive Evade Resist Escape (SERE) enlisted troop. He now is an Air Weapons Officer on the AWACs...just like me. Until last year he had never hunted a day in his life. I dragged him along to Cordova in May of 06 to do a black bear hunt. I'm hoping to covert him into a hunter one day, but for now he makes a great sherpa. Along with his endless amount of survival and wilderness skills, he was on the AF Eco Challenge team, has a date with Mt McKinley next year and is one hell of a long distance runner. Anyhow, the dude's name is Ben.

I also called upon Golden Eagle Outfitters in Delta Junction to provide us with our Air Transport. As always, I did my homework when selecting the pilot and I was told great things about Jim from GEO. His service was everything I expected and more...I'll explain later.

So...After a few bumps in the road with the commercial travel getting up to Alaska I caught up with Ben in Fairbanks the evening of Aug 24th, a day later than was planned. After lining through a few last minute "to do" items we checked into lodging at Eielson AFB. The following morning hit the road for Delta Junction.

The morning of our transport was a foggy one. We met with the pilot, Jim and after deciding it would be a few hours before the fog burned off Ben and I headed over to the local greasy spoon to meet with my uncle who I had not seen in 17 years. My uncle, who is also named Jim, is the lead scientist for Boeing at the Missile Defense System at Fort Greely. The things this man knows absolutely blows my mind away.

DSC07641copy.jpg

Anyhow, after choking down some eggs, sausage and toast it was off to the airstrip again. As we pulled into the drive the fog was lifting.

Jim's set of wings is a nice little cub. I was the first to be flown out to the strip. In the background you will notice the beautiful mountains of the Tok Management Area. The TMA and Delta CUA are separated by the Johnson River.

DSC07642copy.jpg

Another view of the TMA mountainscape...

DSC07645copy.jpg

Ben arrived shortly thereafter...in blue jeans nonetheless. The man has probably trekked over every mountain in Washington State in denim. I convinced him before leaving the airstrip to ditch 'em.

DSC07644copy.jpg

We knew going into this hunt the mountains are relatively small in comparison to much of sheep country and therefore the willows and alders would be labor intensive. Our first push would be a mile bushwack up and over this ridge and into X Valley.

DSC07648copy.jpg

Ahhh...the obligatory pre-push pic. Notice the denim is gone...and so is the shirt. Moosie probably noticed the shirt was gone before the jeans. Again, the ridge in the background is where we are headed.

DSC07651copy_900246.jpg

It doesn't take us long to lean into the willows and climb our way up the top of the ridge. This is our first look into the valley from foot. Each place you see the light shining down there are Booner rams...no really, there are.

DSC07652copy.jpg

We spend the next few hours looking and glassing every nook and cranny we can. Ben being the rookie he is to hunting has a problem spotting game...initially. Within two hours I spot a total of 9 sheep peppered throughout, all of them rams...two of them legal by full curl. I also spy a black bear across the creek tumbling down a cliff and trying to work his way up. He isn't very big...maybe 5 foot. I'm stoked by the amount of game we are seeing.

DSC07654copy.jpg

We walk a little further, but not much. I want to set camp and glass more before we proceed. Here is another look up the valley.

DSC07657copy.jpg

Continued tomorrow...

Great story. Nice pics. Can't wait for episode two . . . the fall of the giant ram.

Ovis, you're a damn good story teller...can't wait for the action ending and epilogue.

Not cool man, I want more!!! Nice story so far I'm sure that round two will be even better.

Yah, about that suspense thing...so sorry. Used to be I would knock an entire story out and post it on the web, but time is too precious nowadays...We'll see how far I make it tonight.

I believe I closed with the Day 1 events, so we'll pick it back up with Day 2, (Sunday, Aug 26th) the first legal day of hunting.

Awoke to another day of dicky bird blue skies. Per usual the day begins with something hot, Ben brews up some mud and I opt for a cup of Ramein. Never been a java fan and don't figure I ever will be one. Unless of course those Frappachinos from Starbucks count then I am a sucker for coffee.

After a talley on the sheep we spot in the valley we bust camp and start making trails further up the drainage. As I said before, we were going to literally be up to our eyeballs in willows and alders throughout this hunt. Here is one of Ben busting through. He is in fact using a technique to protect his eyes from the hazards, it's called walking with your eyes closed...it can be very effective.

DSC07658copy.jpg

Sheep hunting weather in Alaska is hard to predict. You can expect any combination of rain, snow, freezing temps, wind, hot arid temps and cloudless days; and if you don't like the weather...well, just wait 15 minutes. Many a sheephunter experienced smokey days from all the wildfires last year. I can only suspect this not only makes it difficult to breath, but also very difficult to spot game. This hunt I really felt as if we were being cheated out of typical hard to predict wx. It only made perfect sense that with all the great hours of clear skies and low 70 temps we would soon be doomed.

To keep cool Ben found going shirtless was hard to beat. Me being the pansy I am can't stand the feel of shoulder straps digging into bare skin. I chose to take multiple breaks throughout the trek. We both were suckers for the bumper crop of wild blueberries though. Five steps; bend, pick and enjoy...Five steps; bend pick and enjoy. Until we gorged on berries for so long the cramps started occurring and we then cut back. Neither one of us could resist the cool mountain water flowing from peaks of the mountains.

This was the first year I left behind the Pur water filter and went with a product called Aqua Mira. For those of you who rely on treating your own water in the field I highly suggest this product. It doesn't have the taste of iodine and won't turn your translucent Nalgene bottles/bladders yellow. Really good stuff and it shaved a few ounces from my pack weight.

You might be asking why on earth we would be treating this water and the best answer I can give you is "good practice". It doesn't look harmful, does it?

DSC07660copy.jpg

The tempo this day is slow. We continue to glass, walk, relax, eat berries, glass, walk and glass. By the day's end we put on another 3 miles.

DSC07664copy.jpg

Along the way not only do we spot more rams, but also a train of cow and calf caribou. These boogers ran parrallel to us for a few hours. Very curious critters they were.

DSC07673copy.jpg

By now Ben and I are becoming increasingly aware of the quality of animals we are dealing with in this valley. We have to this point found three rams on our side of the creek, one of which is just barely legal.

DSC07667copy.jpg

All the other rams are located on the opposite side of the creek. To hunt the "other" side would require a game plan to stalk a particular animal before crossing, because once you do so you immediately begin to climb and the grade of the mountain would conceal the animal until you are level with it.

DSC07669copy.jpg

The other problem with crossing is the creek itself (more like a river) and it is raging. It is glacier fed and runs through a very narrow, deep gorge with very few braids. To do so would require crossing in the very early morning and dealing with the reality that one wrong step would send the other person out to the Johnson river fishing for a corpse. At the time I wasn't sure if I was ready to make such a gamble...there were many a legal ram on the other side. To include a curl and a quarter running with another ram who is full curl on one side and broomed very far back on the other.

DSC07671copy.jpg

We were keeping tabs on the feeding patterns, which rams were coming low to feed which ones were not. Which rams we could no kidding put a stalk on, which ones we could not.

The temptation to cross was there, the animals were there, but was there fear? Could Ben and I talk ourselves into raising stakes against the creek?

Find out tomorrow...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back