Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

My 04 Black Bear Pics

BCBOY

Here's some pics of my 04 black bear that I took a couple weeks ago. It measured 6'8" from nose to tail and its skull green scores 18 5/8.
My04black2.jpg

My04black4.jpg

My04black5.jpg

My04black6.jpg

My04black7.jpg

Nice better and even better photos. My compliments to the photographer. How about some details about the hunt. Is that a Weatherby in your hands? Congrats on the bear.

I took the pics myself by putting my camera on a tripod and a timer and running to get in place for the shot. Have to say I'm very surprised that they turned out so well.
The rifle is a Parker Hale 300 Win Mag. It's a handmedown from my dad but a hell of a great shooter.
There's really not much to the story. I was coming home for a day off of guiding and I saw this big boy sitting on his ass. I stopped the truck and looked at him and he showed me his big head and I decided I wanted him. He mossyed out of view, so I got out my rifle and threw a couple in. I slowly peeked over the hill he had gone over and I saw some brush move. I then saw the front portion of his body so I let him have one at about 30 yards. Dropped him right in his tracks.

Great bear BC and I agree with quality of the photos. I think you need a camera that has a remote though. All that running back and forth can wear a guy out. ;)

After getting back from SK I am thinking more and more about chasing bears again. What would your recommendations on a spot and stalk archery hunt in BC? Are there good opportunities for success?

Just kicking around the idea right now, but I was hoping for some of your expertise on the subject. Mnay thanks, and once again congrats on the bear.

Nope those Parker Hales aren't fancy but they certainly do get the job done. I understand lot's of folks up there in Canada use them. Judging by all the critters you guys kill, the rifles must be user friendly.
It also amazes me how many Canadians still use a 303 British. From here that caliber or "calibre" as you say is a regional oddity.

Again love those bear photos. Just once I'd like to have a bear hunt come together as easy and lucky as the one you described. Seems like every bear I see in Montana requires a LONG hike and 90% of it's uphill...make that a long way up hill. Unfortunately between my age and my knees I think I'm mostly going downhill these days.

Sky, Parker Hale are back producing quality rifles {Read English}again, I have had several and they are as good as any 'ceptin Mannlicher,Sako etc. the good ole .303 is still used here in N.Z. makes a great deer rifle in with good quality ammo.

Very nice bear, I like the jet black color you got on that one.... Way to go and major congrats... :D

Congrats on a nice bear! Not trying to stir anything up, but are you sure he was 6'8"? Just doens't look it in the pics?!?!?

Did you get film back from all the guiding yet? We'd all like to see some more bear pics!

Horn Seeker,
No problem stirring the $hit. If there is anything I've learned over the many years that I've been killing bears (have personally skinned 25 bears in the last 2 years alone)is that bears are the hardest creatures to take good pics of. They are like "Slinkies" and can appear small or big depending on how the camera is set up. Another thing is they are the hardest creatures to accurately field judge. I'm always surprised when I walking up on one. Sometimes they are bigger than I thought and sometimes they are smaller. Bears are like people. They come in every shape and size. You can have tall long bears with no body mass, or short stubby bears that are all bulk and everything in between. Some have long snouts and tall ears, others have short snouts and short ears. When I saw this one, his head is what I was looking at. He has a big head. I was hoping it was going to break the 19" mark but it is a meat head and the skull green scores 18 5/8. Still one hell of a bear for not even putting a effort into hunting him.

Here's an example of a bear that really deceieved me. When I first saw him feeding in the ditch I thought he was a 4 1/2 foot Kickout. We stopped the truck and took pics and video and were laughing about the small bear when he stepped onto the road. He instantely grew. My client had already shot a 5'6" black and was looking for a 6'+ or a brown. He said to me, "Is that a 6 footer?" I said, "Uh, Er, Um, Damn close." Turned out to be 6'3" from nose to tail. His big ears really deceived me. Just a young boar with some great genetics
9747290-R1-017-7.jpg

9747290-R1-019-8.jpg

9747290-R1-023-10.jpg

Right on Steve. I've misjudged a few in the field too. Fortunately, most of my judging is them sitting in a tree at 10 yards or less with unlimited time to look them over. The first bear I ever shot without hounds I thought was the biggest I've ever killed, by far. When I got to him......er, I mean her.....she was probably a snatch under 5 feet (well, maybe a few inches under :0)weighing a phenomenal 100 pounds! I was disgusted with myself big time!

I take your word for that bear being 6-8. It just appears that you yourself in that pic would have the be 7 foot tall!! :0)

Anyhow, good job.

PS...how big was your moose horn pile this year?

You really have to look at a ton of bears both live and dead to get a appreciation of size. A 6 foot bear is in my opinion a trophy class bear, comparable to a 170 class muley. A mature bear normally has got small ears on the side of their head versus big ears on the top. You really have to get a feel for how big their surroundings are to judge them. If they are standing next to a stump or rock or tree, judge how big that is and you then get a better idea how big the bear is. One thing you never do is judge a bear through the binos or scope. They always appear larger than they actually are. I use binos only to look for cubs and rub marks and such. If a bear is a long ways off, it is best to put a stalk on it and get closer to evalute it.
I saw this bear at 2 1/2 kms away and couldn't tell if it was a shooter. (We set 5 foot as our min. especially when the hunter has 2 tags.)
We stalked to within 30 metres and I still couldn't tell if it was a shooter. We stalked another 10 metres until it stepped out of the high veg and I told the hunter it was good enough. It was the last evening and the hunter missed a giant 7 foot+ boar earlier on in the week. Even though this bear is only a 5'3" boar, the hunter was ecstatic.
9747300-R1-032-14A.jpg

The proper way to measure a bear is as soon as the hide is off the carcus and with the skull still in. Measure from the tip of the nose following the curvature of the skull and then down the back to the tail. The hide should be snug tight but don't stretch it. You can stretch a hide to measure anything you want it to measure. The bottom line is, when it comes back from the taxidermist, you want it to be the same as you measured it. If you wait even an hour to measure your hide, it will have shrunk up pretty good as the flesh on the skin starts drying. The real measurement won't be known then until you get it back from the taxidermist.

HS,
There have been many a bear that I've had the same thing happen.

My horn pile is pretty damn big. I haven't been counting but I have found a whack this spring.

How do you think your way of measuring (fresh hide off) compares to measuring the length while the hide is still on the bear?

I haven't measured but a couple bears, I wish I had measured them all, then I'd really know lengths better. I have weighed many tons of bears, therefore usually get the weight pretty close....unless its getting really big, like 350 plus, then I really cant say as I've only seen a couple ever like that.

I wish I was out hunting right now instead of on the dam computer!

Take a pic of your horn pile man! Let us have it!

Big Sky,
I'm using a beat up ol' Canon AE1 35mm. I'm old fashioned and still haven't moved up to the modern cameras yet. Although, I'm in the market for a new video camera and I have a feeling that I will be going 100% digital.

HS,
I see you found some of my latest pics on MM. I'll post them here too. I'm sure Moosie will like seeing all the Moosie Paddles.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back