My 04 Black Bear Pics

Oh BTW,
I know that by measuring the animals still on the carcus it usually gives a smaller measurment, or else I've been doing something wrong. I've always had good results on the bear coming back from the taxidermist at what I measured the green hide at though. I've heard guys measuring the front pads before too. Measure the pad, add an inch, convert to feet and you have the length of the bear. It may be a general guide, but it is like saying all mule deer have 22 inch ears. I've measured ears from 18-26 inches on mature deer. You just can't peg a bear down to the size of his feet.

I have seen a lot of little boars with big old feet that would absolutely throw that theory out, but like you say, in general maybe it would work. Yeah, that would suck if you decided you were ONLY going to kill a 30 inch buck, then you spy this buck and are like, "dang, thats a big buck, nice and tall and heavy, but only about 26 inches wide! (2 inches on each side of his 22 inch ears) and he's actually 31 inches!!!

I think Greenhorn told me that his last Wyoming buck had 27 or 28 inch ears, I remember it was unreal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back