Muzzleloader

AH64DMatt

So, my first Elk hunt is about 5 months away, and it'll be my first time hunting with a muzzleloader.

Obviously, step #1 is to buy a muzzleloader. I've hunted deer with bow, shotgun and many different calibers of rifle, and I'm looking for opinions on muzzleloaders. I'm also torn on scoped vs. unscoped.

Any opinions would definitely be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

I think a CVA Accura V2 is on my birthday wish list if I draw the right tags this year. Super nice!

I have settled on an "ACCURA V-2 as well, I'm waiting for the new "Mountain Rifle" to come out in about a month.
the other gun on my short list was an T/C Omega dream Season

With my old eyes, I'll scope it.
I have a Leo VX III 1.5X5 sitting in my safe, just waiting for a new gun.

I have only shot one ML and it is the Accura V2. Happy with it, but nothing to compare it to.

I have 2 inlines and an older caplock...My CVA is my open sights for hunting in Colorado and My TC has a scope on it for everywhere else. I like to pull the caplock out to play sometimes.

Like others have mentioned. Make sure to read over the individual state's requirements/definition for muzzleloader season.

I've got a Knight DISC Extreme, but I had to have one that could use the popular 209 primers (in case I ever get that NM tag, etc.) as well as being able to switch over to Washington legal. If a scope is legal muzzle loader equipment where you hunt, I'd scope the gun.

My T/C Impact comes with fiber optic sights and can put 3 250gr. T/C Shockwaves into a cloverleaf at 100 yards (two pyrodex pellets). Haven't shot anything with it yet except paper, but I bought mine for $200. I love it.

Emrah

I shoot the 50 cal omega! Love it 100g powder,215g powerbelt! You dont need anymore than that.. Killed deer,elk. Hits the paper no problem 250 yards! For new inline shooters you don't have to load like you shooting a cannon,like I said 100g of powder will do the trick.

I have 5 different muzzleloaders for a wide variance of regulations in several of the states,,,,first of all we need to know what state its in for starters,,,they all shoot different,,,depends on whats needed,,.then we can start talking powders,bullets,ect.Im fairly knowlagable about smokepoles and regs.

Sorry for the delay in the State information. I'm in Arizona. I have a cow muzzleloader tag for this Fall. i probably should've said that from the get-go. I really appreciate the feedback and am looking for as much as I can get...
Thanks so much.
Matt

I have a few different ML's. My favorite by far is a SS Knight Disc Elite. It has a tapered "light weight" barrel, and overall pretty light for a muzz. I dont' think they make them anymore, but I see them from time to time for sale.

I also bought a CVA Accura last year and I love it. It's a great gun at a great price point.

I am a T/C guy. If I was to get a new one, it would be the Triumph > speed breech and break open.
iron sights only! :)

My 2 favorites are my lyman great plains hunters in .54 cal as i can use them in all the western states including oregon ,idaho,and colorado with the "old timers" muzzleloader rules,,,I just take my scope off and use peep sights where i need to,,,used it with my nikon bdc scope last year in new mexico"as nm allows scopes" and it worked well,,,just couldnt find me a buck in unit 2b.

Back