Yeti GOBOX Collection

Muzzleloader season decisions

D_Walt

My 16 yo daughter drew a muzzleloader buck and a bull tag in the second draw. I know the unit really well and have hunted it 10 of the last 15 years and spent a week scouting every year in the summer during that time, but have never hunted Muzzleloader season. She won’t be able to hunt the full 9 day season, probably only 5 full days of hunting is all that can be squeezed in. I’m trying to decide if she’d be better off hunting the first 5 days or the last 5 days, or if it really even matters. Either way, she’s pumped and can’t wait to go. Thoughts on first half or second half of season?

Man tough call! The Saturday opener will always be the most crowded of the whole 9 days. The last 5 the animals will have seen more pressure and been pushed around more. Depends some on your style to a degree. I
personally like to try and capitalize early so would go the first 5 days. Someone who's more into running and gunning might be more interested in the last 5 when the bugleing is more likely. Is splitting the difference a option or are you counting on the weekend to save a few school day absences?

Last edited:
I always prefer the first part of the season for muzzle. Especially if you are trying to get a buck still in velvet.

Man tough call! The Saturday opener will always be the most crowded of the whole 9 days. The last 5 the animals will have seen more pressure and been pushed around more. Depends some on your style to a degree. I
personally like to try and capitalize early so would go the first 5 days. Someone who's more into running and gunning might be more interested in the last 5 when the bugleing is more likely. Is splitting the difference an option or are you counting on the weekend to save a few school day absences?
Pretty much trying to save a few school absences, trying to keep her down to missing only 3 full school days. Since it’s 1000 miles from our house it’s all got to be in one go. It’s tough to miss a whole week of school, especially early in the year. She has several Honors/AP classes and I don’t want her to get too far behind.

Pretty much trying to save a few school absences, trying to keep her down to missing only 3 full school days. Since it’s 1000 miles from our house it’s all got to be in one go. It’s tough to miss a whole week of school, especially early in the year. She has several Honors/AP classes and I don’t want her to get too far behind.
Me and my son are heading out for CO muzzleloader also. At his school you can get approved for a family vacation and it not count against him. He just has to go to all his teachers and get them to sign off on it. I think they will assign him some work to do online so we will have to run to the campground and get Wi-Fi every couple days. Might be something to check on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back