Muzzleloader Help

Flatlander14

Information overload on my research and struggling to make a decision.

Looking to buy a new muzzleloader, will mostly be used for eastern whitetails but would like it to double out west as well.

My only real requirement is the hand removable breech plug and something I can take a scope on and off of as needed per state. Thanks in advance.

I shoot a t/c pro hunter. I do the same as mentioned above and leave my front site on when I have a scope on the gun. I use a rear ghost ring rear sight when the scope is off for out west. I have had good luck with those setups.

CVA Accura. Get some Warne quick release rings. The factory open sights will probably work for you out to 100 yards, maybe more.

Thanks.

I may pick up a CVA Accura V2, 30” Barrel with the cerakote. Checked one out in the store today and it seems like it will work nicely.

Leupold quick release system is what I use on mine. Always returns to 0 when I put it back on.

My personal experience has been with a TC Prohunter and a Knight Ultralight. Both great guns. I have used Warne QD rings with good success. They return to zero well. I personally wouldn't mess with a QD ring that isn't made of steel.

That said, I know several people I hunt with who shoot CVAs optimas and accuras, and they perform just as well as mine.

I'll second CVA. Me and a buddy both have Accuras and love them. With the right load I got 2 inch groups at 100 yards (open sights). Optimas are great toowith a lot of recommendations. I'm sure the Wolf is pretty good but I can't vouch for or against. The breach plug system on CVA is excellent. One thing I recommend is, if you're hunting with open sights, replace the rear sight with a William's ghost ring, I know know you can get rails with fittings for a rear sight.

Thanks guys, it came down to CVA and knight, I really liked the knights but being blessed with fingers that resemble sausage links I opted for the CVA with the ease of access to the breach plug.

Any recommendations on loads? I plan on using blackhorn 209 for my powder.

Lots of good bullets out there. I would steer clear of power belts, lots of mixed reviews. It’s not worth the risk. Personally I use Hornaday .452 pistol bullets and buy the sabots in bulk. It’s cheap and they shoot great. Get a scale and measure your BH209 by weight and use the correct breach plug. DON’T use muzzleloader 209 primers. Use standard shotgun 209. BH209 warns against this on their label.

Lastly Enjoy

I can only vouch for the stricter western laws. I use a 270 grain powerbelt platinum with a magnum load (120 grains) of BH209 and a triple seven primer. Works great for me but again, powerbelts and muzzleloader primers have mixed reviews. If I weren't in Colorado though I would probably use a saboted bullet.

Go tompson centerfire cva breech plug is a pain to get out. Use blackhorn 209 powder it’s a winning combination

I shoot a prohunter fx. I did not have good results shooting pellets. I have switched to bh 209. The shockwaves shot good for me. But a colorado trip is planned so i have switched to powerbelt platinum 338s. That combo also shoots well at 100. I have not had time to tinker with powder volumes to see if something other than 100 gr shot better. I also second the fact of keeping your front sight on. I have seen rail/peep combos for the rear which i personally would have if my scope werent mounted already.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I went with the CVA Accura V2 w/ 100 grains (by volume to start) of BH 209 coupled with a 290 Barnes TEZ Sabot. It is shooting great but I am noticing some blow back on the breech plug. I am using W209 primers by Winchester w/ the CVA Black Horn breech plug. The primers are dirtying up quite a bit along with leaving quite a bit of "soot" around the breech and on the bottom of the scope.

Is this an issue with the primer not fitting tightly on the breech plug? Do I need a new breech plug? Thanks.

I don't know anything about inlines and the components you are using, but in lieu of more knowledgeable posters chiming in, I will say that this sounds dangerous. Blowback like that could be a precursor to something coming apart, or at least present some serious threat to the longevity of your "baby blues" or whatever flavor of eyeballs you have. I would not fire that gun again until I had that issue sorted.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I went with the CVA Accura V2 w/ 100 grains (by volume to start) of BH 209 coupled with a 290 Barnes TEZ Sabot. It is shooting great but I am noticing some blow back on the breech plug. I am using W209 primers by Winchester w/ the CVA Black Horn breech plug. The primers are dirtying up quite a bit along with leaving quite a bit of "soot" around the breech and on the bottom of the scope.

Is this an issue with the primer not fitting tightly on the breech plug? Do I need a new breech plug? Thanks.
The primer isn’t being pushed into the breech plug with enough force to hold it firm. It’s a common issue. You want a little bit of crush on the primer when you close the breech. There are a couple of ways to fix this.

1) get longer primers. I believe Winchester primers are longer than other brands so this probably won’t work for you.
2) get some o rings for your primer pocket. This is what I do, and swap them out after every range trip. My primers come out clean now.
3) CVA makes a shim kit for the plate which holds the firing pin. You can adjust your “headspace” to make this plate stick out a bit more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back