• Thank you for creating an account on Hunt Talk! We require that all new users contribute at least 10 posts before gaining the ability to start new threads. Once you have made 10 posts, you will be able to start new threads in the forum.

Muzzleloader Help

Flatlander14

Information overload on my research and struggling to make a decision.

Looking to buy a new muzzleloader, will mostly be used for eastern whitetails but would like it to double out west as well.

My only real requirement is the hand removable breech plug and something I can take a scope on and off of as needed per state. Thanks in advance.

Gellar

I shoot a t/c pro hunter. I do the same as mentioned above and leave my front site on when I have a scope on the gun. I use a rear ghost ring rear sight when the scope is off for out west. I have had good luck with those setups.

Two7D

CVA Accura. Get some Warne quick release rings. The factory open sights will probably work for you out to 100 yards, maybe more.

Flatlander14

Thanks.

I may pick up a CVA Accura V2, 30” Barrel with the cerakote. Checked one out in the store today and it seems like it will work nicely.

Redman

Leupold quick release system is what I use on mine. Always returns to 0 when I put it back on.

MinnesotaHunter

My personal experience has been with a TC Prohunter and a Knight Ultralight. Both great guns. I have used Warne QD rings with good success. They return to zero well. I personally wouldn't mess with a QD ring that isn't made of steel.

That said, I know several people I hunt with who shoot CVAs optimas and accuras, and they perform just as well as mine.

lpshunter29

I'll second CVA. Me and a buddy both have Accuras and love them. With the right load I got 2 inch groups at 100 yards (open sights). Optimas are great toowith a lot of recommendations. I'm sure the Wolf is pretty good but I can't vouch for or against. The breach plug system on CVA is excellent. One thing I recommend is, if you're hunting with open sights, replace the rear sight with a William's ghost ring, I know know you can get rails with fittings for a rear sight.

Flatlander14

Thanks guys, it came down to CVA and knight, I really liked the knights but being blessed with fingers that resemble sausage links I opted for the CVA with the ease of access to the breach plug.

Any recommendations on loads? I plan on using blackhorn 209 for my powder.

Addicting

Lots of good bullets out there. I would steer clear of power belts, lots of mixed reviews. It’s not worth the risk. Personally I use Hornaday .452 pistol bullets and buy the sabots in bulk. It’s cheap and they shoot great. Get a scale and measure your BH209 by weight and use the correct breach plug. DON’T use muzzleloader 209 primers. Use standard shotgun 209. BH209 warns against this on their label.

Lastly Enjoy

lpshunter29

I can only vouch for the stricter western laws. I use a 270 grain powerbelt platinum with a magnum load (120 grains) of BH209 and a triple seven primer. Works great for me but again, powerbelts and muzzleloader primers have mixed reviews. If I weren't in Colorado though I would probably use a saboted bullet.

jeremys4

Go tompson centerfire cva breech plug is a pain to get out. Use blackhorn 209 powder it’s a winning combination

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkrunner