Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Muzzleloader essentials for backpack hunting

Karl

I have muzzleloader tags for elk and mule deer in Colorado this fall and was curious what muzzleloader items you guys brought along on a backpack hunt. I'm thinking about 5 spare projectiles, powder for each shot in a screw top tube, then a small snack ziplock with 15 wet cleaning patches and another with 15 dry cleaning patches. I also have extra electrical tape to cover the barrel. Anything I'm missing or that you guys bring? Looking to just bring the essentials and not add weight for the heck of it.

Better pack something to ignite the powder (percussion cap, 209 primer, etc.). Find some space for a cleaning jag and a pick for cleaning the primer hole. I would make a small kit of the variables you want and maybe leave your bigger muzzleloader bag of tricks in the truck in case you have to shoot your way out of a tight spot.

If the elk n deer prove elusive and you need to shoot blue grouse for the menu, you'll need more bullets and powder. Sounds like a fun hunt awaits you this September.

I carry 12 primers, 6 Bullets, 6 powder tubes, a caliber wire brush, and a decapper all in a zip lock bag.

The bullets stay in a tube and the powder is measured out in BH209 tubes.

Trick on the primers is to cut up a old primer tray and then make a cardboard sleeve for it from the original sleeve. It keeps them well organized and keeps them from spilling.

Last edited:
I carry 12 primers, 6 Bullets, 6 powder tubes, a caliber wire brush, and a decapper all in a zip lock bag.

Truck on the primers is to cut up a old primer tray and then make a cardboard sleeve for it from the original sleeve. It keeps them well organized and keeps them from spilling.
That’s a good tip on the primer tray! Thanks!

i dont know about you,but i carry a co2 muzzle unloader with me in my possibles,,i would also have powder and 10 bullets with at least 20 primers,,would be a long hike out for a few more very small items,,i always carry in caribou game bags as they will hopefully be needed//ya never know when they could come in handy like the time randy and marcus stuffed them with bows on a overnite elk hunt.{I liked that episode randy}

I always have one of these in my bino pouch when muzzleloader hunting. Works pretty well. They also make one that goes on the stock.

I always have one of these in my bino pouch when muzzleloader hunting. Works pretty well. They also make one that goes on the stock.

Yes always keep spare rounds on you close at hand. I dropped my pack at a base of a mountain to run up and get a head of the herd. It was the last day of the hunt and as the elk came out in front of me I was looking for a bull but there was none in the herd so I picked the biggest cow and shot her. She dropped in her tracks and I had one load with me and the rest were in my pack way down below. I quickly reloaded and by the time I was ready to shoot again she was on her feet. I put another in her and that was it. The first shot was 40 yds and I hit her high had I not made sure I had another load with me it could have been a sad situation.

While viewing your example, are there options for traditional? (Q is for any in the know). Pro v con?

I believe redman's experience is something that rings true for hunting regardless the tool used to crack an elk, etc.

Trick on the primers is to cut up a old primer tray and then make a cardboard sleeve for it from the original sleeve. It keeps them well organized and keeps them from spilling.
+ extra tape for the muzzle
+ allen wrench and multi tool/channel locks to disassemble my knight muzzy

I also really like the solohunter full length rifle cover. That goes on every hunt.

While viewing your example, are there options for traditional? (Q is for any in the know). Pro v con?

I believe redman's experience is something that rings true for hunting regardless the tool used to crack an elk, etc.
Traditional? If you mean powder I use these with BH209.

I'm a fan of black latex glove fingers gorilla taped over the muzzle (unless in super thick country). I'll tape my BH209 tubes closed with the same tape, allowing me to add another glove finger in a pinch. Could be done without glove fingers and only electrical tape. Sometimes electrical tape sucks.

I got some silicon primer holders a few years back. Don't trust them 100%, but they're great for quick access. I always keep a few more primers in the backpack.

With BH209 I never bring patches or cleaning supplies (and I start with a fouled barrel). If using another powder, I'd consider it.

Good tip!

I used to load the rifle before I left the truck, and packed 4 powder/projectile tubes and half a dozen caps. A CO2 unloader or a way to get your breach open as well to clear a miss-fire or wet powder is a bonus. I only packed a few patches. Odds are you'll get one chance, and odds are you will only shoot maybe 2 times. Good luck! Odds are probably pretty slim you fill an elk and deer tag in a week, but I'd leave supplies at the trailhead if you need them.

I just make sure I have a jag, patches, powder, ball, nipple pick and because I hunt flint a few rings for that.

Back