Gear list for 1st season backpack elk hunt

I worried about what I was going to carry based on weight for years. If you're going to Colorado there are a few outfits that will rent you llamas to make your life much easier

As a Grayl owner myself I would say swap that out for sure. I like the Katydyn BeFree 1.0L system for saving some weight and it works well. Your tent and sleeping bag are super duper heavy. Why take a nalgene AND a water bladder?

As a Grayl owner myself I would say swap that out for sure. I like the Katydyn BeFree 1.0L system for saving some weight and it works well. Your tent and sleeping bag are super duper heavy. Why take a nalgene AND a water bladder?
I may swap out the greyl with my sawyer filter, I have thought about it quite a bit as the greyl is pretty heavy.
The tent and sleeping bag are heavy, but I can’t swing quality options yet, and don’t want to buy gear that I’ll be wanting to upgrade again in another year or so, I’ve already made that mistake, which is why I have some of the gear that I have. Water bladder is my preferred water source, has been since basic training, but want a backup in case it gets busted or leaks.
Gear I will upgrade as funds allow will be:
Shelter, looking at the Cimarron or Sawtooth.
Sleeping bag, probably Western Mountaineering Badger.
Pack, Exo or Kifaru.
Everything else I will see how it does this trip, and see what needs changed. Maybe I won’t go elk hunting again for several years, in which case I probably won’t need to upgrade much, but I doubt that. I’m already starting to plan next years trip, wanting to go in archery season.

Back