Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Multiple guns for Africa

JJHACK

I get this question all the time from my hunters. It goes something like this:

How many guns can I bring to Africa?
what guns should I bring?
I want to bring my 270 for the small antelope and my 416 for the big antelope.

Well the questions are always good but the idea of two rifles has some limitations. If you have a mixed bag of game including Buffalo and eland and you decide to pack along the 270, 7mm mag, 30/06 or similiar and the Big buffalo or Eland is located that becomes a problem! Long gone are the days where you will have a gun bearer that walks around behing you like a golf caddy handing you the proper club or gun for the shot at hand.

My suggestion to all the guys coming over is to bring one rifle that can handle everything. Guns like the 30/06, 300 mag, 338, and 375HH, 416, are all really good all around plains game rifles. If bigger game like Eland and buffalo or even bigger are on the menu then starting with the 375HH and the 416 will give you nice range capability and enough brute strength to get the job done. You will likely never use the smaller gun because in Africa you never know what will step out from the next bush.

The bigger guns are always better unless you have a specific animal in mind and you have a rifle dedicated to that species. As an example lets say you are hunting Elephant and you have a 500 nito express double rifle. When you have a hunt of the magnitute and expense of the Jumbo you will likely forgo all other species anyway.

When on a multi species plains game hunt you need a rifle that will dump a 2000 pound Eland at 300 yards and a rifle to shoot a hopping steenbok at 50 yards. The bigger guns do both quite nicley where the .270 would not be a good choice on a 2000 pound bull eland! It can certainly kill an Eland but will you ever find it?

I would prefer that my guys (or gals) come with one great comfortable rifle with high quality ammunition, and a good scope. If you're worried about a failure I would not concern myself with that to much. I have taken out over 150 people now in Africa and the failures are virtually unknown.

Funny thing is when I was guiding in Alaska all the hunters would bring only one rifle. I saw countless failures, corrosion, and dirty actions causing a struggle. In Africa everyone wants to bring at least a couple rifles and the weather and conditions are so much better one never seems to need the back up.

I have seen quite a few scope failures on rifles in Africa and Alaska. So a spare scope is a good idea. Anytime you hunt near a vehicle or boat guns tend to get a bit more banged up. Much like hunting horseback in the mountians.

Just get one very comfortable gun with a good high qualtiy scope setup and you will only need one!

Another good informative post JJHack
cool.gif

JJ,
Have you any experience with/opinions regarding the .358 Norma's performance on African game? I'd like to hear good bad or otherwise. I have a 10 year "project gun" nearly completed. It'll hopefully be broken in on old bullwinkle but the dark continent beckons me.
WD

The 358 norma is quite a handful! It's nearly the same as a 375HH. With identical placed shots I doubt the animal will know the difference. The 375HH with a 300 grain bullet is a more powerful cartridge but with a 270 grain bullet it's about the same as the 250 grain in the Norma mag.

I have always been surprsed the Norma was not more popular. I think, had it come out before the 375HH it might have swapped places with it. That rifle is about as flat shooting as the 338 and with a bullet almost as big as the 375HH it certainly fills a nitch between the two very nicely. I think from the game I have seen shot with it that it's actually closer to the 375 then it is to the 338 in penetration and impact effect.

Have fun with the project and when you get ready to try it on some big plains animals send me an Email and I can make it happen for you!

Thanks JJ,
You have confirmed basically everything my friend who did the metal work advocates. He has a 358 Norma and a 416 Rigby he built as well as many others. He's been to Africa twice and I'm not sure with who, other than his PH is a reknowned snake guy in Botswana.
When the bead-blasting and bluing is done I'll take a digital photo and post it. I hope it shoots as pretty as it looks.
WD
biggrin.gif

I too am a fan of the .358 Norma. I had a Ruger MkII action rebarreled to this cartridge last fall. Unfortunately too late to take on my elk hunt. Any number of factors could be the cause of it's relative obscurity in the States... the intro of the .338 and lack of (at the time) a decent number of 35cal bullets didn't help!

If the 35 Whelen is so popular, I'd think the .358 Norma would be a natural! Load it with a 225gr. Partition for the lighter stuff and you'd be in tall cotton for sure!

Right now I'm fashioning a laminated stock for mine.... hopefully it will be ready for the late elk season in Colorado come this November...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back