Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

multi-tool recommendations

sbhooper

I have had several multi-tools over the years. I have used Gerber and Leatherman. What is everyone's preference for these tools. I am considering buying one as a gift, but do not necessarily want something that is not more usable, than what the person already has.

Take a look at SOG and their multitools. The allow you to customize too with each tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Leatherman Wave and a Gerber that I found. I mostly use the Wave in a leather 1911 mag pouch. I have the extra bits and that really cuts down on room in the pack or range bag. The bits generally live in my Kifaru chamber pocket inside my lid when hunting, camping, or any other time I'm in the field. I mainly use the Gerber for fishing as it's nice to just flick it open for hook removal. If I could only pick one, it would be the Leatherman.

I love gadgets and I love knives so I have had too many to remember - and only one ever got carried for more than a week before I lost interest. It is still my go to utility pocket knife. The Leatherman Skeletool. It's quick access knife is perfect for me because my multitool gets used as a knife 85% of the time and a tool 15% of the time.

I love gadgets and I love knives so I have had too many to remember - and only one ever got carried for more than a week before I lost interest. It is still my go to utility pocket knife. The Leatherman Skeletool. It's quick access knife is perfect for me because my multitool gets used as a knife 85% of the time and a tool 15% of the time.

...guilty.

Still have my 1st Leatherman. It travels in my hunt pack.
I have a newer Gerber I use now if I am carrying one working around the ranch...& always have a Gerber clip knife on my pocket. It is the tool I use most,the knife.

I really like my leatherman sidekick, it’s traveled the world and been beat to heck but keeps in going. The wave is also fantastic

I use a Leatherman Surge as my daily work multi-tool. Heavy but excellent quality. Along with the extra bits and the adapter, it's very handy for work but a bit much for hunting or fishing. For that, I prefer a Gerber. It's lighter and I can open it with one hand.

Wave is awesome....but I second the leather sheath. The cloth one included will stretch to the point that it will fall out. I've lost two...maybe clever on their part to increase sales. Awesome tool though.

I don’t know the model but it’s a gerber . Had it Along time . I like it cuz it “flicks open” and everything seems to have been good quality for it to last all these years.

I have a wave. Not sure when exactly I bought it. Decades ago. I cant manage to wear it out or break it so its the only one I have ever had.

I have a few of the original leathermans lying here an there. seldom use em but do on occasion.prefer the plyers on gerbers

I have 2 leatherman waves. I have also had several gerbers. The leatherman have been twice the tool as gerbers. Warranty is also no hassle with leatherman where I have had to jump through hoops with gerber. Also you can open leatherman 1one handed by holding one side and flicking your wrist. Needless to say I use leatherman for daily carry.

I use a Gerber suspension- zero complaints. Sturdy build, clean locking mechanisms, great grip. Too heavy for backpack hunting but I carry it around for just about everything else. Many other more expensive models out there, but I like the one I have fwiw

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back