Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Multi Pin Slider site Recommendations

BKHunter

Can anyone recommend a good multi pin slider site? I like the idea of have at least 4 fixed pins so I don't have to adjust for close range in the field, but I also like the idea of a floater pin for game that is further away and I can adjust that pin for a variable distance.

The is only one sight I can think of off the top of my head that is exactly as you describe where only the bottom pin moves. It was made by G5. Can't remember the name of it.

Most sliders move the whole sight ring and you use the bottom pin as your extended range pin. I first tried a CBE Tek Hybrid Pro. Liked everything about it but the pin brightness. Traded it for a Montana Black Gold Ascent 5 Pin which I'm very happy with.

I was also looking and either the Boss or Tommy hog by Spott Hogg. So those sites the whole site moves? I mean that isn't a big deal, but I just have to make sure to redial after a long range shot.

Can anyone recommend a good multi pin slider site? I like the idea of have at least 4 fixed pins so I don't have to adjust for close range in the field, but I also like the idea of a floater pin for game that is further away and I can adjust that pin for a variable distance.

I have a black gold ascent 4 pin with the slider so 20-50 when my sight is in my "home" position but I have my sight tape for anything past 50 making the bottom pin my floater don't think I would shoot a different sight, on a 4 inch dovetail of course

I've had good luck with a MBG Ascent 5-pin. I have mine at 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 (the floating pin). That means any shots at ranges under 70 yards are a fixed-sight, but I have the option of long-range shots for practice and for screwing around. The top 3 pins are .019 and the 4th and 5th are .010. It also has the 3rd axis adjustment which I really like for uphill and downhill shots.

It costs as much as some rifle scopes but I have loved it. My wife thought I was crazy when I bought it, but after seeing it work at the range she ordered one too. Good luck in your choice.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with a MBG Ascent 5-pin. I have mine at 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 (the floating pin). That means any shots at ranges under 70 yards are a fixed-sight, but I have the option of long-range shots for practice and for screwing around. The top 3 pins are .019 and the 4th and 5th are .010. It also has the 3rd axis adjustment which I really like for uphill and downhill shots.

It costs as much as some rifle scopes but I have loved it. My wife thought I was crazy when I bought it, but after seeing it work at the range she ordered one too. Good luck in your choice.

The reason I am looking for these variable sites, are for the reason you noted above the uphill downhill shoots. Can anyone give me a little more color on how this works?

If your worried about accuracy on up and down shots then you need a sight with 3rd Axis adjustment. It doesn't have to be a slider to have that and not all sliders have 3rd axis adjustment.

All of the sliders made now are pretty similar in theory of operation. Here's a good review of one. I suggest googling reviews of any sight your interested in and explanations of 3rd axis adjustment.

Edit: For got to add link. Monday morning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ILiYw8Ifw

Last edited:
I really like the upgrades and the new MBG Ascent verdict sights. They been solid for me this year. Enough to sell my spot Hogg and CBE

AS fasr as hunting goes, the point of s single pin slider is in the advantage of shots greater than 40yds. On shots less than 40yds, you don't need a pin at 20, 30 40. Depending on the speed of your bow/arrow setup, you learn where to set your bow for close in shots and you keep you pin locked in at that distance on your single pin sight. I know that when I whitetail hunt, I leave my sight at 27 yds and I am 3" high at 22yds and 3" low at 34yds.

When I elk hunt, I keep my pin at 32yds and I am around 4" high at the high point around 24yds and I get about 4" low at 40yds. That is more than an adequate aiming window for elk hunting. If I have the time and the stealth to range spots at that distance than I will gap shoot accordingly. At distances over 40yds, you should have the time and stealth to adjust your pin to the proper distance or within 10yds.

I got rid of my multipin sight for may reasons, and the main one is too much sight clutter and for choosing the wrong pin in the heat of the moment. Single pin allows no confusion other than forgetting to actually adjust your sight. If you do that, you are also likely to choose the wrong pin cause you are clearly moving too quickly to check all the steps in your shot sequence.

I use an HHA and I love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back