Muleys or Whitetails

I would have to say that I can not personally give a correct answer considering my knowledge of whitetail. I live in Utah, hunt some of the most rugged country around and with the experience that my elders and i have, around here i think we would all agree that A TRUE GIANT MULEY is the hardest animal to kill. I watch all of the shows on tv of Whitetail hunting and i am being unfair because i have not hunted them personally but it looks easy. Maybe one day i will earn more respect for whities. We have a saying around here you can buy a HUGE ELK but not a HUGE MULEY.

I have hunted for a killed nice bucks of both species in Montana. Most everyone I have hunted with would agree that a true 30"+, heavy horned deep forked mountain mule deer is the hardest trophy to come by on PUBLIC land. Not knocking whitetails at all, it's just more difficult to find that size of mule deer, the country is tougher, the altitude is higher and there just aint as many of'em.

wow Buzz that whitetail hunting you do sounds like it would kill an average man!

I've hunted deer only in Montana so my thoughts are limited. I've got some very good muleys in my days and they are my true love to hunt. I've also taken a couple of decent whiteys but they required more time in a tree stand and gaining access on to private land. The muleys that I have taken have been from public land and required miles and miles of effort and time. My vote goes for muleys.

Not sure if it would kill an average man or not...but the whitetail hunting I do has definately killed many better than average whitetail bucks.

hvywt2.JPG

hvywt.JPG

whitetail2.JPG

95whitetail.JPG

96wtail..JPG

well cat, when I made my post I wasn`t really looking for Buzz to post the same old tired pics that he has posted and everyone has seen at least a dozen times in the past

What do you die hard mule deer fans think is harder public land mule deer or public land whitetail? I hunt both every year, and would have to put my money down to say that I could kill a much bigger mule deer every year!

Bambistew,

Mature 5+ year old whitetails on public lands are much more difficult...no question about it.

Mule deer get old and big because of the country they live in, not because they're smart.

Anywhere whitetails live...even in the most heavily hunted areas...theres a good chance some will not only live long enough to become big, but that some will die of old age.

Not true with mule deer, apply enough pressure and you'll be lucky to find a buck over 2 years old.

See most any easy access general season mule deer areas in Montana for a perfect example.

I'd say muleys are harder to hunt and kill bigger bucks on public land.

Some of those bucks are nice BUZZ, but the others are AVERAGE.

I've killed a bunch of big whiteys, but can hunt them out my back door. Have to drive many miles west for muleys, so would say that they are most definitely harder for me.
As a side note, I have killed a couple western whiteys and would say that they are much easier to kill than their midwestern, cornfield, woodlot cousins, as the western deer are far more visible, plus you can use a rifle.

In the west, my guess is whiteys are easier as they don't cover quite as much range, and are generally in the bottoms, compared to muleys which I have found all over from low ground to high.

Kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

I have hunted both for a lot of years, and where i hunt you can find both mule deer and whitetails, I prefer hunting whitetails cause i think they are smarter. IMHO they taste better too.

Back