Mule Deer Rut - How to hunt

Ryan2782

I am a new mule deer hunter and drew a tag for November Rut Buck hunt in Unit 48 in Idaho. I grew up hunting October for does just by walking around and finding them to fill the freezer. I'm more of an archery elk hunter than deer, and want to give this 100% effort and attitude for this tag.

Is there any general advice for finding bucks during the rut of types of terrain they would be, thickets, or open areas? Any thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't hunted Idaho for mule deer but have hunted them during the rut elsewhere. I find a high vantage point and glass. I see a lot of bucks and when I find the one I want I go after him unless he is heading towards me then I sit tight until he is in range. Thing with mule deer is when they are rutting they are moving until they find a doe that is ready to rock. If they find a hot doe then they go where she goes and fend off any bucks that get close. I have found some nice bucks that I lose sight of and they just vanish and I never see them again. They must have a huge range because I have found new bucks in the same spot on different days. I love hunting mule deer in the rut, gun or archery.

This is a rifle hunt. When you are glassing, primarily, are you looking for does and watching them waiting for a buck to show up. Or are you watching and scanning for bucks moving areas? Where the hunt is, there is timber with open areas of sage brush and grasses. Is your experience better to glass through the timber or the open areas?

I would just look for does. If the bucks aren't right in with them, glass for bedded bucks nearby or wait until they come out for a sniff.

Stay out all day.

Don't discount the earlier part of Nov (first week). A lot of guys think you have to be into mid or late Nov for good rutting action but I've seen it the first week.

For me mule deer are easy to spot because of their butt is light colored and stands out. Yes I look for does because the boys are always looking for the girls. If I don't find any deer within a hour of glassing I move. The primary area that I hunt is badlands with cedar draws mixed with grass and sage. Now bucks can and do just materialize and I have miles to look at so I don't have to move much. I found a buck beded over a mile away and was able to stock over to the drainage he was at. When I got there I found 4 others and ended up arrowing a bigger one. After I arrowed the buck I found an even bigger buck with a loan doe. The doe took off with the bigger buck following her every move. Point is all of those bucks were right there because of one doe in heat. If you find one deer you will find more you just have to scan the area. Again, I have never hunted Idaho (yet) so I am not sure how things work there. I apply the same tactics in Colorado as I do in South Dakota. If you want you can PM me with other questions and I am sure others will give you more good advice.

IMG_0044.jpg
Here is a view from around 700-800yds during a mid October archery hunt. How many deer are in view?

I see two fawns sucking on a doe and a buck laying down well to the left of them in between the green foliage and he's looking straight at the camera. The picture is very fuzzy and there may be more, but that's what I see.

Yea the picture quality isn't the best. I held my iPhone up to the lense and took the picture. You are right about the 2 fawns getting a drink from momma but there is no buck. You can see though in that terrain there could be other deer hidden close by. That's why when I find them I stay put and pick the place apart before moving on. If it is the rut I would just stay put, a buck will stroll by.

Find does and I love to use scents.
The bucks will be cruising the places does usually hang out looking for a hot doe. Get close enough for them to smell you then start setting out some scent. I have used Mule deer 4 x 4 scent from scientific technologies (I think that's it) in the past with great success. It's a small brown bottle with a red and yellow label, maybe some white on there too.
If I think I am anywhere near does I also drag a piece of cotton or felt tied to my boot and sprayed with scent. Just done spray your body boots, etc.

Thanks for the info on scent. Are you trying to spray in certain areas, going to the other hill sides and then glassing that area? Or is it more for cover scent and closer area for scouting/hunt?

While releasing scent then glossing from a good vantage is a good idea, I have never done it. I use scent to cover and attract. Word of warning though. I have taken 2 bucks at very close range.

Yea the picture quality isn't the best. I held my iPhone up to the lense and took the picture. You are right about the 2 fawns getting a drink from momma but there is no buck. You can see though in that terrain there could be other deer hidden close by. That's why when I find them I stay put and pick the place apart before moving on. If it is the rut I would just stay put, a buck will stroll by.

Boy, I'd swear that's a buck laying behind the green foliage to the left, but you were the one there and had a better view that I do looking at the picture. Anyway, I think glassing is the way to go with mule deer hunting and especially around the rut time if you can find a decent number of does in an area. Patience will pay off by continual glassing because bucks are either in the area or will be if you give it time.

Boy, I'd swear that's a buck laying behind the green foliage to the left, but you were the one there and had a better view that I do looking at the picture. Anyway, I think glassing is the way to go with mule deer hunting and especially around the rut time if you can find a decent number of does in an area. Patience will pay off by continual glassing because bucks are either in the area or will be if you give it time.
No this was a mid October archery hunt and I only found one good buck, I passed up several small ones, and arrowed a good doe the day before we headed home. You are right on the glassing and it won't wear you out by hiking, let your eyes cover the miles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back