Mule Deer.... Never got One, I want one

CoastalPlains

On a fishing trip to Colorado last fall I was driving down a winding road at about 2 am.. headed up from Oklahoma. As I rounded the bend my headlights caught something mystical. There was a mule deer buck walking up a hill and it stopped right by the side of the road as I creeped by. It was my first time ever seeing a mule deer, it was magnificent!

Ever since that moment I have wanted to go chase a mule deer, whether rifle or bow it does not matter. My question to you all who have done it before... which state/draw would be best for a first time mule deer hunter? Any draws that don't require points? Any good OTC for muleys? Thanks in advance!

Arizona over the counter is Archery. Look at Montana Draw ,but easy in some areas............BOB!

I haven’t gone yet but am in the same boat as you and have been doing some digging into where to start.

I think a good question to ask yourself is what sort of overall experience you’re after. There are states geared toward trophy management and others to opportunity and then everything in between. There are states where huge spaces where you can backpack way into and find solitude abound and others where ATV trails abound and seclusion is more difficult to come by.

New Mexico & Idaho have no point systems; draws are totally random. Randy has excellent informational videos on these states on YouTube. As has been mentioned, Montana has a lot of general units you can score w/ zero points & have an expectation of good opportunity. Wyoming too. I have points in Colorado and they’re a top state for mulies, but the experience there isn’t necessarily what I’d seek first but I’d bet if you did some homework you’d find a zero point unit that’d give a decent opportunity.

Good luck I hope that after you hunt you’ll return here with pics and story (not including info on specific area necessarily).

Nebraska is excellent, but access can be tough, unless you want to go with an outfitter for your first experience. I can give the info for a friend of mine that outfits. You have to pay attention to the draw in this state, as it can be limited for non-residents, but with the right access there are good bucks. What are you willing to spend? PM me if you want, as I may have another option, if you are willing to lay out a few bucks.

Although you could be hunting a muley buck in several different states next year, if I were in your shoes, I'd go back to the same place it all began for you. You've still got a few months before the draw too... Depending on your unit if you draw, you could pick up an OTC bull tag or maybe even a cow from the draw as well. I may be partial having lived there so I'll level set and say there are other solid, realistic opportunities to CO's north and south amongst others.

I have always wanted to hunt a whitetail. New Mexico is primarily mule deer. Coues are in the bootheel and some in the lower Gila.

I might try Coues hunt before I get too old!

Back