Mule Deer Migration

Yea, thats a pretty cool video i seen it on FB. the webpage has some good info too. Anybody who is lucky enough to draw that migration tag is in for an epic hunt. I was lucky enough to go with a buddy who drew it last year after 12 years of applying we seen on avg 45-50 140-160 class bucks aday and where after a stud that went 209 but was killed as he ran across the road by a very lucky hunter.

I had not seen that before. Now that is way cool. Every hunter should watch that. It drives home the point of how important landscape issues are and how we don't always know what we think we know, even in these days of great technology.

Thanks for sharing that video with us. I had no idea many deer traveled that far. I'd heard of 30-50, but never 150!

Very cool. Loved to see that fattie buck jump the fence. Big game needs big country. Interesting to see how this GPS technology is revealing pronghorn and mule deer migration routes we had not recognized in decades past.

I just read the story about the migration today on facebook. That is amazing what they have to go thru to make their journey. Sounds like they are going to use this info to help with future planning for developments.

Thanks for sharing that video with us. I had no idea many deer traveled that far. I'd heard of 30-50, but never 150!

Those are just the 150 that GPS collared.... There are thousands that migrate...

I also watched this video on Facebook, love watching informative videos even thou some are bias....
Matt

Just watched, very cool ( both the subject and quality of the clip ). Shows the importance of funding these projects so that real and not hypothetical research outcomes can drive good management.

Those are just the 150 that GPS collared.... There are thousands that migrate...

I also watched this video on Facebook, love watching informative videos even thou some are bias....
Matt

My numbers were referring to the miles they traveled, not numbers of deer!

Shows the importance of funding these projects so that real and not hypothetical research outcomes can drive good management.
Meaningful research is fantastic and useful, unfortunately it's special interests and $$$ that drive policy here (and most other places) 9 times out of 10. I'm pretty familiar with the specific issue, as I work in natural resources, live in the Hoback, and work in Sublette county. Not to be pessimistic but I think it's an unsolvable problem. Gotta do the best we can to use the scientific method though!

The PBS series Nature had a most unusual program on Mule Deer that I highly recommend.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/

Take the link to the home page and look for "Touching the Wild". This is a 50 minute documentary about mule deer society captured in a somewhat controversial method. As a hunter in my early 50's, i found the piece to be fascinating. I surely hope we find a way to bend the population curve in the positive direction.

The PBS series Nature had a most unusual program on Mule Deer that I highly recommend.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/

Take the link to the home page and look for "Touching the Wild". This is a 50 minute documentary about mule deer society captured in a somewhat controversial method. As a hunter in my early 50's, i found the piece to be fascinating. I surely hope we find a way to bend the population curve in the positive direction.

Yes it is. I brought this up last week but not many people had watched it for some reason. Truly one of the best videos I have ever watched.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=258766&highlight=deer+video

The migrationinitiative.org website is interesting, also. It gives the difference in mortality and recruitment between migrating and resident elk herds. Those predators are no joke.

Pretty amazing stuff.

It always, always comes down to the habitat. Great video.

I agree wholehearted Ben. There have been studies in the past with regards to how habitat really works and what may truely be negatively impacting our Mule Deer herds, but has largely if not completely been ignored, or simply just 'set aside', due to its wide reaching implications. What will be brought to a much brighter light here in the comming months will be more than a little interesting to those who care for our herds.

That is a cool video. It would be interesting to get a video of the antelope migration between Canada and Montana and I believe its around a 260 mile trek.

Back