Mule deer help

Aussie_hunter_JD

G'day all,

In 2021 I turn 30 and really want to do something special, most importantly I've got permission from the wife to do a hunt abroad.

I'm going to be honest and straight forward and do something I really never wanted to do on this forum (or any other for that matter) and straight up ask for help.

I would love to rifle hunt for a mule deer buck, not after a monster just a representative. Also to experience some great parts of the world like I know from photos and literature that the Western US has. Really to make the journey of trekking half way around the world even more worth it I'd like to tack on a hunt for black bear or maybe a pronghorn (the latter i reckon I could do otc in wy). I'd happily hunt elk as the main species but I feel as though to stand a good chance at a decent bull I need to start building points (whole other confusing headache).

If anyone is willing to possibly help a fella from Aus I would greatly appreciate it. If I can be successful I'm happy to break down the meat and gift it over and even cook some of my game meals (love game cooking). 'Hunt swaps' to me seem a bit dirty, but if there's an experienced diy hunter out there who'd be willing to help out or even tag along I would most definitely return the favour in either Aus or NZ.

I'd consider myself an experienced hunter and outdoorsman (doing it my whole life), always safe, don't mind a laugh and always happy out in the bush. I do take my hunting seriously though. Ideally it'd be great to get mates with someone as keen as I for hunting and adventure.

My initial thoughts were to roll the dice on an idaho mule deer rifle hunt but I'm open to anything.

Ànyway if anyone may be interested/able to help please shoot me a pm, but if not, all good, be safe, shoot straight and thanks for your time!

Colorado has a lot of mule deer options you could draw and good chances at killing one if you choose a good unit, good tactics, and hunt hard. I'd be happy to offer some suggestions over PM. I'll be very busy over the next 20 days though and communication will be sparse. But I'll be able to get you enough information before 2021 draws come around if you want it. If you do come out, who knows, maybe I could show you around.

Buy a mule deer a pronghorn point for Wyoming this summer and next. You'll be assured a quick and fun antelope hunt (there are no OTC Wyoming antelope tags) and would have options for Wyoming deer if other plans fall through. Good luck. Starting 2 years in advance, you should be able to plan an awesome adventure.

Buy a mule deer a pronghorn point for Wyoming this summer and next. You'll be assured a quick and fun antelope hunt (there are no OTC Wyoming antelope tags) and would have options for Wyoming deer if other plans fall through. Good luck. Starting 2 years in advance, you should be able to plan an awesome adventure.
This is spot on...

This! I've been digging into deer and pronghorn in Wyoming recently. There is still time to buy a point for each this year. With 2 points for each in 2021 you can have a very fun hunt.

The best mule deer herds I have seen are in the Meeker/Rifle area in Colorado. You really have to watch at night or you run the risk if hitting one. Edwards is good too or was when I last hunted there.

Wyoming or Colorado will treat you well. OTC is a really tough gig.

If you're doing one hunt then I'd recommend choosing a state and buying points there. WY, CO or MT would be my picks. Choose a state for the hunting but also logistics (easier to fly into a hub e.g. SLC or Denver), available info, side trips (WY = Yellowstone). Hunt swaps have been awesome for me, great chance of a successful hunt, local experience and make some new mates along the way. Send me a PM if you have any questions, happy to help. I've hunted WY, CO & Alberta and heading to MT this year (and also WY if I draw) and spent time in OR and ID.

Assuming outfitted hunts are out of the question, I would look to Wyoming as well. You'll have a good hunt in one of the general regions with a couple points.

Wyoming for sure , especially for elk and antelope.
Elk hunting in Northwestern Wyoming is the most beautiful place I have ever been. Lots of public land and lots of access.
Antelope are practically in every part of the state, but especially thick in central and eastern part of the state.
Good luck to you sir and if you hunt Wyoming you won't regret it.
I am officially hooked on Wyoming after my first two hours there in 2017.

Wyoming for sure , especially for elk and antelope.
Elk hunting in Northwestern Wyoming is the most beautiful place I have ever been. Lots of public land and lots of access.
Antelope are practically in every part of the state, but especially thick in central and eastern part of the state.
Good luck to you sir and if you hunt Wyoming you won't regret it.
I am officially hooked on Wyoming after my first two hours there in 2017.
Wyoming in my opinion has the best opportunity and user friendly across the board..

I would look at places you can hunt deer in the rut. It gives you a better chance of harvesting a mature deer. Generally second week of November to end of November is best time. I live in Montana, if I can be of any help, give me a dim

I would look at places you can hunt deer in the rut. It gives you a better chance of harvesting a mature deer. Generally second week of November to end of November is best time. I live in Montana, if I can be of any help, give me a dim

I have a good mate living in bozeman (non hunter) so MT has always been up there. I was talking to a MT resident not on this site and he said I wouldn't be able to draw a rifle mule deer tag by 2021 that's why I kinda left that idea a bit.

I have a good mate living in bozeman (non hunter) so MT has always been up there. I was talking to a MT resident not on this site and he said I wouldn't be able to draw a rifle mule deer tag by 2021 that's why I kinda left that idea a bit.
If you buy a point this year and next, I think it would be extremely unlikely that you wouldn't draw in 2021. Draw odds are good even with zero points.

If you buy a point this year and next, I think it would be extremely unlikely that you wouldn't draw in 2021. Draw odds are good even with zero points.

Agree I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t have close to if not 100% draw odds.

That said I think CO or WY would be a better quality experience with 2 pts.

Back