Mtn Ops vs Wilderness Athlete

Sabot

Any real difference?

Are they both basically a sportsmans advocare or plexxus?

What are you actually looking to take? Pre workout? Protein? Meal replacement?

I've used the wilderness athlete stuff before, and I was not impressed. I used the preworkout, and honestly optimum nutrition's amino acid was better (and cheaper). I think companies like MRI, O.N., etc have been in the game longer, and offer the same supplements. Not to mention they are easy to buy without ordering over the internet.

Last edited:
I've been using MTN OPS for a year now and have been very impressed with their products. They definitely help me and I will continue using them. Enduro is my favorite. It helped me add more miles to my daily running and there is zero crash. I use it while hiking as well. It's like anything though, in order for things to work you actually have to use them properly, put the time in, and push yourself. Not just once a week.

If you look at the ingredients, it's nothing special. Amino acids and vitamins are the entire make up of enduro for example.

While I do like and use some/most of the ingredients in Enduro, they can be had for a lot less money with a little research.

Also for you guys that are coffee drinkers, I read a newer study a few weeks/months back stated mixing L-arginine( enduro's main ingredient at 5 grams) with caffeine, can cause heart failure leading to death.

Be careful mixing these pre workouts/ endurance supplements with caffeine.

I have been using the WA lean life and mult-vitamin daily for about six months now, and like them a lot. I feel good, and have not had any bad effects. I like the lemon lime hydrate and recover, but not so keen on the energy and focus.....have not experienced any real benifit from that one.

I give my wife a hard time for buying plexxus and other overpriced fad powders that make our neighbors money and don't work unless they become your new religion. She sometimes "feels" better, but never loses any real weight or has any other noticeable benefits.

If I bought any of this stuff, it better make a big difference in my energy and workouts or she will never let me hear the end of it!

I bought the WA 28 day challenge pack. With that, a better diet and some small work outs I have lost just about 8 lbs in 19 days. Nothing huge and I still have 12 lbs to get to my first pre summer goal.

I can't drink coffee, my stomach just can't handle it. So as a office drone I need a bit of boost in the morning. I used to drink Monster energy drinks but now I've switched over to Wilderness athlete energy and focus and found it to be fantastic for carying me through a business day with very little to no crash.

Lean life has also proven to be fantastic in appetite suppressant. Lost 20 pounds so far by tuning my diet adding a bit of exercise and taking Lean life

I give my wife a hard time for buying plexxus and other overpriced fad powders that make our neighbors money and don't work unless they become your new religion. She sometimes "feels" better, but never loses any real weight or has any other noticeable benefits.

If I bought any of this stuff, it better make a big difference in my energy and workouts or she will never let me hear the end of it!

I think the same could be said of most supplements. They work for some people because they believe it works. One thing they are good at is making your wallet thinner. :rolleyes:

I've been using Wilderness Athlete since last August. I didn't see any benefit from the Lean Life, but I like to eat. Skipping a meal for protien shake didn't seem like a plan I could stick with so I haven't tried the meal replacement stuff. What I do use is the multi-vitamin, Energy & Focus, and the Hydrate & Recover.

I have no idea if they are helping, but they taste good and I feel great. Starting last August I began going to the gym 6 days a week. In the 10 weeks prior to my mule deer hunt in the Rubies, I lost 28 pounds was able to keep up, almost, with my 22 year old nephew who is in the military. I've kept up my regime for the most part, usually 5 days/week now, and worked on making healthier food choices since October.

The bottom line for me is doing the work. These suplements may or may not actually do anything. In the end, what matters is the result. I view them as a component of the program that is helping me get to where I want to be physically. If it's all in my head, so be it. As long as I continue to get results, that's all that matters.

I have been using Wilderness Athelete Hydrate and Recover, Energy and Focus, Multi-Vitamin, and Protein Plus for several years now. I'm no nutritionist but I believe the science and research is solid for the H&R and it's intended purpose. I can't comment on the E&F but I do use it and it seems to pick me up when I need it to (at least in my head). Multi-vitamins are multi-vitamins I suppose so I take them in hopes they keep me healthy! Lastly, the protein plus, the need for active individuals to consume 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight is pretty well documented. Also, the need to get some of that high quality protein to you body immediately following a workout is very important. Protein plus helped to increase my protein intake and get it to my muscles quickly. I will say that I just recently switched to Mountain Ops AMMO because I think it has more beneficial ingredients that the WA protein. So far I'm liking the way I'm feeling after the switch.

You may of may not be able to find similar items for cheaper but I think for the items I listed above the benefits are real. I'm a sucker for marketing so since WA and MO support the hunting industry I'll probably just stick with them!

Check out and compare at Bodybuilding.com. There are no hunting specific ingredients in any of that stuff, and you can probably get the same thing cheaper if you go with a normal workout supplement. I use BSN Syntha-6 protein, it has mix of protein types that range from quick uptake to delayed, so your muscles continue to get fed longer after a workout.

Last year I bought a Mtn Ops 90 Day challenge kit. I thought the Blaze and Renu were helpful for the first 30 days but didn't notice anything after that. After my 90 days, I was about 25lbs lighter but I can't say if I can attribute it to the plan, extra physical activity, improved diet, or the fact we were backpacking with a low net calorie intake. I do know that once we got home for long periods of time the 25lbs quickly came back even when maintaining a relatively active lifestyle.
I still use Ammo in breakfast smoothies and mix with waffles (mix with Kodiak Power Cakes Mix & powdered peanut butter). Since it is several servings of fruits and veggies I don't feel bad about paying nearly $1 a serving.
I've tried the Enduro and hate the taste...very fake sugary to the point it is nauseating.
I am trying Yeti and I'm not sure I've noticed any effects but do notice the caffeine boost. The blue raspberrry tastes very good but I have to water it down because it is a bit sweet.

In the end a solid diet and exercise is probably more important than supplements

Check out and compare at Bodybuilding.com. There are no hunting specific ingredients in any of that stuff, and you can probably get the same thing cheaper if you go with a normal workout supplement. I use BSN Syntha-6 protein, it has mix of protein types that range from quick uptake to delayed, so your muscles continue to get fed longer after a workout.

Exactly my point.

I personally do a scoop of casein and a scoop of whey protein post work out. Achieves just what you've said MH.

I used to be a pre workout junkie, I quit them probably 8 months ago, the 1st couple months was tough, now i dont even notice not having them.

Saves me quite a bit of cash too.

Like all of the above said. generic stuff is probably better/cheaper. Eat real food and workout. It's not rocket science.

I find it ironic how the hunting community (myself included) brags about eating clean with our meat yet we're willing to consume literally the most processed thing possible in protein powders and other supplements.

The only thing I've found worth the money is omega oils and some of the hydration powders work well (I'm prone to cramping)... everything else can be found at the grocery store or the woods.

On one of my deployments I got into taking soy protein before bed. It is a slow uptake protein and it feeds your muscles all night long; which is when you do most of your recovery. It seemed to have a lot of positive affects.

As for preworkouts, I do use them sometimes. I think, like any other workout supplement, your body will adapt to it, so using it selectively, or cycling it is important. When I do use it, I use Pre-Jym, and have had the best luck with it.

Im glad mountain ops is motivating folks, but there product is nothing special, in fact I'd say it very much lags behind comparables. I wonder how they get to a very consistent 60% across the board in term of nutrients? Protien shakes as well as other supplements, when formulated shouldn't have such a consistent percentage unless there are fillers to target.

Heres a comparison of "ammo" versus a nutraceutical grade protien shake. Same price per serving.

These "hunting" specific brands are just using their products to promote fitness in the hunting industry and pushing harder to get the best out of your time in the mountains/woods etc. I don't see a problem with that. They use big names in the industry to promote it, like every other product, if you buy a big dodge truck because Eva Shockey has one and you end up not liking it, that is your own fault. Really it doesn't take much, no amount of supplement will help you avoid the hard work necessary to achieve your goals. For myself I use a basic whey protein, creatine on and off, and certain aminos for recovery. I take a multivitamin everyday and I eat smart when I can. Its not rocket science, simply watch what you eat and work hard. I'm in the gym minimum 3 days a week.

I've used MTN OPS, and WA products....now the only thing I use is WA Hydrate & Recover just because it adds some flavor to the water and makes me drink more.

MTN OPS is out of control IMO, the reason you see everyone on TV wearing shirts, hats, and using it is because they've come up with a solid plan for advertising...they sponsor all those people, because they know all the general public will BUY the product if they see them using it...which is working.

Anyone see Randy Newberg using either of those products? I don't...and he seems to do just fine.

I'm a big fan of early morning use of Little Debbie Zebra Cakes. Might mix in a Swiss Cake Roll or a Double Decker Oatmeal Cream Pie once in a while. They are a bit cheaper than Hostess products around here and seem to pack similar calories.

Back