Caribou Gear Tarp

Mtn Goat Meat Yield?

Less than you would think. I wouldn't have thought 120lbs. Maybe the Alaska goats are bigger than the Wyoming ones. The one I shot seemed to be all belly. Small hindquarters and decent sized front quarters. I did mine in 2 loads but think I could have done it in one load and probably would have tried if it wasn't dark and raining and steep.

I didn't put it on a scale but I would have thought around 60 or 70 pounds of boned out meat and 30 or 40 pounds of head and hide since I was doing a full body mount. So I guess 120 might be realistic. I'm thinking 90 to 110 with head, hide and bonded out meat for a normal sized goat.

The one I shot yielded 50-60 lbs boneless meat, did not take any neck meat or ribs. Seemed like a much bigger animal to handle, and the full hide and head were a pack load, maybe both meat and hide would be 100-120. Montana 8 year old Billy.

Less than you would think. I wouldn't have thought 120lbs. Maybe the Alaska goats are bigger than the Wyoming ones. The one I shot seemed to be all belly. Small hindquarters and decent sized front quarters. I did mine in 2 loads but think I could have done it in one load and probably would have tried if it wasn't dark and raining and steep.

I didn't put it on a scale but I would have thought around 60 or 70 pounds of boned out meat and 30 or 40 pounds of head and hide since I was doing a full body mount. So I guess 120 might be realistic. I'm thinking 90 to 110 with head, hide and bonded out meat for a normal sized goat.
Yeah AK so also every single scrap of meat on the goat, life size cape, and I definitely kept more meat on the hide than I should have.

90-110 seems accurate to me.

IMO Zero!

I shot my goat in Nov 14, 1978. The temperature was -5* F when I started up the mountain to him. Up where he was the snow was knee to crotch deep.

He was a 9+ year old billy with great hair and 9 5/8" horns. I completely skinned him out and put his head and skin in my pack. He died on top of one cliff so I pushed the carcass off that cliff and made my way down to where he stopped sliding. I repeated that all the way down the mountain.

At home I boned out the entire carcass. He stunk like a goat! I took all of the boned meat to a local meat shop and had them make the spiciest sausage that they could. It still stunk like a goat!

I have two upright freezers. I had the elk that I had shot that year in one, and I put the goat sausage in the other.

My family and I went to Denver for the Christmas Holidays and I had my neighbor feed our horses and water our house plants while we were gone.. When we got home I noticed that the garage floor in front of the freezers had been scrubbed clean. The freezer that the goat had been in was empty and also had been scrubbed clean.

My neighbor said that when he came to water our plants, the garage floor was covered with blood. Evidently the freezer had quit working, the goat meat had thawed out, bleed all over the floor, and had soured. He had cleaned up the mess and took my goat to the dump. So in the end I didn't have to eat any of that stinky thing. I was very lucky that it was the goat freezer that had quit and not the freezer with my elk in it.

I have shot animals all over the world and have eaten meat from most of them, and most of them I liked. Pronghorn antelope has its own odor, and some people don't like it. Pronghorn doesn't even compare to mountain goat. I like pronghorn meat. No other big game animal that I have shot smelled as bad as that goat did, except the Dagestan Tur that I shot a few years ago in Azerbaijan. As soon as I got to it after the shot, it smelled like a goat. The camp staff boned out all of the meat and took it home. Luckily I didn't have to eat any of it either.

Got a nice big Billy last year, kind of surprised at the meat yield…..I would compare it to an average whitetail, give or take.

They spend the summer gorging on grass, flowers, and forbs…..they are mostly guts by September.

I thought goat was one of the tastier animals I've had, I've got to taste several CO goats and all of them were delicious, very clean flavor... the ones I've helped pack out were probably between 80 and 120 with the full hide and head, get the hide wet and that could increase quite a bit...

I guess I'm the odd man out but I actually thought my mountain goat tasted fine. The meat was fairly tough, but it tasted fine.
Mine was also very good, but a bit chewy. Bought a jaccard meat tenderizer and it worked well on the steaks. We did gutless and maybe that made a difference on the stink. Goat was shot around Oct 10 which I guess is before the rut, maybe that helped, the meat did not have any stink or off flavor. (Wish I could say that about the last mule deer I shot!)

Last edited:
The first (and largest) goat I ever killed here in Washington was in 1972. My Dad and I hauled out four bone-in quarters and the hide and head. When we got home and cut him up we had 100# of meat, 100# of bone, and the head/hide weighed 40#. That was my first head of big game and quite an eye opener. It was just the start of a lot of meat hauling fun!! 😀

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back