Mt.zerkil wilderness

Cferdet3113

Good afternoon everybody. Buddy and I decided that we’re going to be doing our first over-the-counter archery elk hunt in unit 14 this year. That wilderness looks very interesting. Lots of access points. Hoping that the hunters will be spread out. Anybody have any tips for first timers? Anybody ever hunted that area before? If you would like to PM me about some details that would be appreciated.

Welcome to hunt talk, I am still new enough to appreciate how tough planning that first hunt can be. Getting tips on OTC areas can be really rough the guys that have worthwhile tips have probably spent months of their lives over the course of years learning that unit. But that doesn’t mean that it is impossible. One thing I have found helpful is backpacking sites. Use google to identify trailheads and trails in the area you are looking at then search YouTube and backpacking sites. Sometimes Joe The Hippy will slap a go pro on and ramble away down a trail that you really want to know the topography on. These people typically want to brag about everything they see whereas hunters tend to be closed lipped. Above all don’t stress yourself out to hard pick a unit and just go, the planning can be fun but don’t let nitpicking decisions delay your getting in the woods!

I'm sure you will find some elk there at some point in your trip. Our first trip goal was just to see/hear an elk. The next year we hoped to have an encounter of some kind. Take a trip out and go for a 2-3 day hike and scouting mission if at all possible. We found that in some areas we couldn't cover near as much ground in a day as we had expected and in other areas it was the opposite. Boots on the ground will really open your eyes to what you are getting into. You will also learn what type of topo lines on the map are climbable for humans and which type of lines are only meant for elk ! Much of the area you are talking about has a lot of pine beetle kill. Don't camp to close to the dead stuff in high winds, and be prepared to have to climb over and around deadfalls all day long when not on the trails. There will be plenty of people wherever you go, it's just the way it is in CO it seems. Go high and higher and take the trails that are less fun for others. You may think you will just out walk the rest of them but when you do you will run into people that came in from a different trailhead and have horses and are trying to get away from the people they walked in with. Have fun, stay safe and go scout if at all possible! (Carry water filter at all times and fill up your water bladders throughout the day as you go, and mark the water on GPS for future use.)

Welcome to hunt talk, I am still new enough to appreciate how tough planning that first hunt can be. Getting tips on OTC areas can be really rough the guys that have worthwhile tips have probably spent months of their lives over the course of years learning that unit. But that doesn’t mean that it is impossible. One thing I have found helpful is backpacking sites. Use google to identify trailheads and trails in the area you are looking at then search YouTube and backpacking sites. Sometimes Joe The Hippy will slap a go pro on and ramble away down a trail that you really want to know the topography on. These people typically want to brag about everything they see whereas hunters tend to be closed lipped. Above all don’t stress yourself out to hard pick a unit and just go, the planning can be fun but don’t let nitpicking decisions delay your getting in the woods!
Very good info! Thank you.

All very good tips! Thank you very much! We won’t be able to come out early and scout. But our plan is to spend 1-3 nights on the mountain depending on sign and one night back at the truck. With moves as needed. It’s looks like their are trails throughout most of 14, we are hoping that will spread out some of the hunters? But in the end, just being out for the first time will be awesome! Elk or not, though it would Be a huge bonus to notch a tag!

I was there during the first week of September a couple years ago. I hiked into the wilderness from the west side north of steamboat. I met 30-40 hikers, found 3 elk camps with stock, then talked to about 6 day hunting archery elk parties in 2 days. I couldn't believe how many people were in there. Saw 0 elk, a few deer, and a bunch of black bears.

Know a guy who hunted in there on the first 5 days of the season every year in archery and he killed a bull by spot and stalk every year above timberline for something like 14 years..

2 years in a row he killed a bull in the first 20 minutes of the season.

Hes too old to hunt there now.

I ran into 1 group of archery Elk hunters coming out with a cow last year. They told me that the elk were up above 8600. I ran into 1 other backpack hunter 4 horse camps, 1 outfitter group came by me 2 times. I was 7 miles in using a trailhead that a lot of hikers use. I did take a cow elk with my muzzle loader and she had a calf and a spike with her. I ran into 2 bears on the hike in and out and also had a bear tear up my tent when I was hiking meat out. I would recommend hanging bear bags with all your smellable items, including tape, 1st aid kits anything that a bear might get curious about. I was getting frustrated with the amount of people there but everyone seemed nice and no one really bothered each other. Don't get too frustrated and I would go later in the archery season this year if I remember right Corey and Randy talked about the moon cycle going to be rough for muzzleloader hunters this year. I was solo so you having a buddy will be nice. I would pick up an OTC bear tag if they are available for the area, 1 of the bears I ran into I could have hit with my trekking pole. I had all my elk meat out in a day and half, losing none to spoilage. Good rain gear is a must the hail storms were not pleasant. Most of all just have fun and learn something. I plan on returning to the area in the next couple years. Good Luck

Lots hikers in their in September.
Hunted it couple times
Plus early rifle mule deer hunters in there banging.

Know a guy who hunted in there on the first 5 days of the season every year in archery and he killed a bull by spot and stalk every year above timberline for something like 14 years..

2 years in a row he killed a bull in the first 20 minutes of the season.

Hes too old to hunt there now.

I ran into 1 group of archery Elk hunters coming out with a cow last year. They told me that the elk were up above 8600. I ran into 1 other backpack hunter 4 horse camps, 1 outfitter group came by me 2 times. I was 7 miles in using a trailhead that a lot of hikers use. I did take a cow elk with my muzzle loader and she had a calf and a spike with her. I ran into 2 bears on the hike in and out and also had a bear tear up my tent when I was hiking meat out. I would recommend hanging bear bags with all your smellable items, including tape, 1st aid kits anything that a bear might get curious about. I was getting frustrated with the amount of people there but everyone seemed nice and no one really bothered each other. Don't get too frustrated and I would go later in the archery season this year if I remember right Corey and Randy talked about the moon cycle going to be rough for muzzleloader hunters this year. I was solo so you having a buddy will be nice. I would pick up an OTC bear tag if they are available for the area, 1 of the bears I ran into I could have hit with my trekking pole. I had all my elk meat out in a day and half, losing none to spoilage. Good rain gear is a must the hail storms were not pleasant. Most of all just have fun and learn something. I plan on returning to the area in the next couple years. Good Luck

Yep our plan is to hunt the last two weeks of season this year. So we will we will be catching the last couple days of muzzleloader season. But that’ll be OK. We plan to stay at the truck one night and hike in for three. Hopefully we can get lucky and just see something. But if you’re looking for a group of hunters to hunt with this year there is two of us coming out that will help Carry a load for packing anything out.

Yep our plan is to hunt the last two weeks of season this year. So we will we will be catching the last couple days of muzzleloader season. But that’ll be OK. We plan to stay at the truck one night and hike in for three. Hopefully we can get lucky and just see something. But if you’re looking for a group of hunters to hunt with this year there is two of us coming out that will help Carry a load for packing anything out.

The trailhead that I used is posted “no overnight camping” even in vehicles. I have no idea if they enforced it or not but there was a house right next to it. I am coming back out but my 70 year old Dad sprung for a guided rifle hunt in a different unit. This will be my 1st guided elk hunt and I Hope I get to see my Dad take his 1st elk.

Good luck.

I am also headed into 14 this year as well. I've lived 30 minutes from it my entire life and for the first time ventured in there this year. I talked to a buddy who's hunted it for a few years and he claims the elk will get very call shy. He said learn to use the pressure to your advantage and be prepared to see people. He's had opportunity every year he's hunted it so its very do-able. As a local who lives in the valley I'm telling you be prepared for wind, rain and snow in September. Good Luck!

Nobody will give you a hard time for sleeping in your vehicle, just don't set up camp at a trailhead that's marked no camping and you'll be fine

Nobody will give you a hard time for sleeping in your vehicle, just don't set up camp at a trailhead that's marked no camping and you'll be fine
Is a person allowed to park on the side of a dirt road and camp if theirs room? Or does it need to be at an actual campsite?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back