Yeti GOBOX Collection

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Can anyone post their gear list or dm it to me? Planning to start hunting the unlimiteds in a few years but I'm not there yet. I dont have the experience in gnarly cold weather backpacking and I dont have the gear. This thread gets me going like no other.
Experience is the best teacher. Read as much as you can but at some point you have to just give it your best shot. I wish I didn't wait so long to go out and try it. Your first time doing anything can be a total flop, but one attempt at the wilderness will teach you more than any message board ever could. That said, here's the gear-list I use (roughly) attached below. This is for a later season hunt. I was perfectly warm the entire time even with temperatures around 0 in the mornings. I've been accumulating stuff for years (it's the American way) and I'm primarily a whitetail hunter so not all of the gear I have is perfectly suited for the mountains but it'd cost a man a fortune to run out and buy everything all at once. Very few people I know have budgets for that, especially for such specialty gear. If I lived up there, I think I could justify spending a bit more on mountain-specific gear but I don't live there so when I visit I get by with what I have, which is often a little less than perfect but not too bad. Spend your money on boots and a sleeping bag. You can bargain shop in other areas. Almost everything I buy is on some sale of 50% off or more which helps a lot... the eddie bauer down jacket I wear retails for around $300 I think and I got one on sale for $70. Super warm and comfortable. It's bright red but so what... I never wear it as an outer layer because I always put my shell on. The tent I have I bought for summer backpacking trips with my family. It's a 4 man, three season tent that's relatively big and heavy for one or two guys, but it's what I have and I make it work wherever I go. And it is a glorious and spacious place to call home once it's set up so there's that benefit to a big tent as well. I got my spotting scope a few years ago for around 50% off when Cabela's was discontinuing them. My backpack is not very high quality but it hasn't broke on me yet and I gave like $60 for it almost 10 years ago. I'd say I got my money's worth even if I trash it now. I inspect the stitching on the straps before I go anywhere with it and then it is what it is. When a new pack is in my budget I'll get a nice one. Just use your coconut and when you see something on sale, even if it's in May, jump on it. But at the end of the day, the most important piece of gear you bring is what's between your ears. Have the right mindset and the right attitude and go for it if your heart is telling you to. Be safe, have fun, and manage your expectations because this is not an easy hunt where you should expect results right away.

GearWeight Per (oz)
Backpack, Jansport Big Bear 88
67​
SLEEPING
tent, Kelty TN4
77​
sleeping bag, The North Face Inferno -20
37​
sleeping pad, Nemo Cosmo Insulated w/ pump
36​
NAVIGATING
map
4​
compass
2​
whistle, Fox 40
1​
HUNTING
rifle & ammo, Remington 700, Leupold VXII 3-9X scope, .270 win
152​
range finder
16​
spotting scope, Cabela's Krotos
72​
tripod
40​
game bags, Cabelas
21​
camera (iphone)
32​
knife (schrade folding knife)
12.5​
Hunting License
Hunter Ed Card
CLOTHES
boots (la sportiva nepal EVO GTX)ESTIMATE
wool socks (3x), smart wool calf heightESTIMATE
base layer, pants, Under Armour Men's 4.0 Ski & Snowboard Base Leggings 1281110 - Black - Size LargeESTIMATE
base layer, shirt, Under Armour Long Sleeve spandex t-shirtESTIMATE
mid layer, pants, Kuiu Guide PantsESTIMATE
mid layer jacket, light, The North Face Glacier Alpine Full-Zip Fleee Jacket - Men'sESTIMATE
mid layer jacket, heavy, Columbia Mountain Side Heavyweight Fleece JacketESTIMATE
insulation layer, jacket, eddie bauer, mens downlight hooded jacket, redESTIMATE
rain/ outer layer, jacket, Browning Rain JacketESTIMATE
rain/ outer layer, pants, Scentlock
winter hat light, Fleece hatESTIMATE
winter hat heavy, Cabelas Trapper hat
Fleece Neck Gaiter
Mittens, Cabela's Men's Stand Hunter Mittens with Liner GlovesESTIMATE
hunter orange vestESTIMATE
Sun GlassesESTIMATE
FOOD/ PREP
water bottle, Hydro Flask Wide-Mouth Vacuum Water Bottle - 40 fl. oz.
60​
camp fork/spoon
4​
trash bag
2​
camp stove, MSR WindBurner Stove System
12​
camp fuel 2x
16​
lighters
2​
Food, Mountain House Breakfasts and dinners
5​
Snacks, Snickers, Pistachios, EPIC Bison Bars
TOILETRIES
toilet paper (bring lots)
6​
toothbrush
2​
toothpaste
2​
FIRST AID
1​
bandaids (large)
1​
medical tape
4​
gauze patches (4x4)
2​
splint, sam splint
4.5​
triangle bandages
1​
tourniquet, NAR Combat Application Tourniquet
4​
MISCELLANEOUS
phone
6​
headlamp
6​
sidearm, Glock 23
48​
hatchet, gransfors small forest axe
32​
paracord
6​
trekking poles, Black Diamond Trail Ergo
18​
carabiners
4​
Total Weight
990​
61.875​

@zach_destroys gear lists are a good foundation to start with but, it comes down to what works good you and your style or program. I will share what I have with you to get started and preparing. Keep in mind gear is effn expensive, each year I try to "upgrade something" or purchase something new vs. all at once. A guy will spend a small fortune over time assembling a "light or ultra-light" backcountry kit. I am not as detailed as some but with all of it setup and packed with a rifle and 14 rounds its about 62 pounds for 8 to 10 days.

Shelter:
Luxe 2P Tipi w/ Mesh Insert (Solo)
MSR Mutha-Hubba 3p tent (Use for when I hunt with my buddy)
Brooks Range Guide Tarp (Always Have in pack)

Sleeping Bag:
North Face Mummy Bag 0 Degree
Enlightened Gear Quilt 15 degree ( Been the go to)
Stone Glacier 0 degree

Gear:
Stone Glacier 5900 w/ Accessories
Camp trekking pulls
Camp Universal Crampons
Katadyn Gravity Filter ( Sucks when its below freezing)
Exped Insulated Pad
Inreach
Phone ( Camera )
Headlamp ( Don't buy a cheap one)
Med Kit
Fire Kit
Jet Boil
Extra Gas in case you need to boil snow
P.Cord
1 Game Bag
Heavy Duty Trash Bag ( In case you need to hang your gear in a tree for a couple days)

Clothing:
A wide Variety of different clothing brands
Sitka Timberline Pants
Sitka Insulated Pants ( Must nice to have for glassing or extra layer sleeping)
Sitka Base Layers/ Mid Layer
Stone Glacier Shell (Usually don't take the shells for extended stays)
Kuiu Shell
Scheels Rain Gear ( Next item getting upgraded, either Arcteryx or Stone Glacier Gear)
North Face Puffy Vest/ Coat ( These always come even in August or July)
Mechanics Gloves/ Extra Insulated Gloves/ Mittens in October and November
Kenetrek Mountain Boots
Fit Wool Socks plus 1 extra pair
First Lite skibbys and tee shirt

Food:
Have it down to 1.5 lbs a day and that's with a Mountain House
I just pack a ziploc quart bag with a variety of bars and snacks..... whatever fits in there it always usually comes out to about .8lbs sometimes more never over a pound though.
Another "extra" food thing I have been doing is making a Ramen while glassing. Nice to have something warm while your sitting there
Coffee singles/tea packets/electrolyte powders/
A real nice treat is a hot Apple Cider and Crown Apple in the tent at night. I just cant ever seem to pack enough whiskey.....

Optics:
Vanguard Tripod with Bino Adapter ( very key)
Swaro 80mm Scope
Meopta 12x50s
Outdoor Vision Bino Harness
Sig Sauer Range Finder

Firearm:
Old trusty 7mm Rem Mag with Leupold Vx4 scope ( Had it since I was 14 and I am not looking to change)
Howa Mountain 1500 Rifle in 6.5 Creed with Leupold VX3 Scope ( Nice light little gun, my wife claimed it as hers though)
Both rifles will have 14 rounds.

I am sure theres more but you get the jist of it......... I just adjust accordingly for the weather. Good luck out there.

Few Extras I left out that are trip dependent or luxury items.......

Sea to summit pillow (usually make a pillow out of all my puffy layers)
Camp Shoes (I gotta have these)
Helinox Chair Zero (very nice to have)
Z-Pad for sitting on while glassing ( Chunk of Yoga mat works too)
Bug Head net (mainly for summer scouts)
Fishing Equipment ( lots of great lakes up in the tooths) download the PDF FWP Beartooth Fishing Guide
IPOD (sometimes nice to have)
150' Climbing Rope (occasionally, have thought about stashing some at a couple places)
Charging Bank for phone
Small LED Lantern for tent
Chew (Must)
Never Enough TP or Wipes
Im sure theres more.......

Few Extras I left out that are trip dependent or luxury items.......

Sea to summit pillow (usually make a pillow out of all my puffy layers)
Camp Shoes (I gotta have these)
Helinox Chair Zero (very nice to have)
Z-Pad for sitting on while glassing ( Chunk of Yoga mat works too)
Bug Head net (mainly for summer scouts)
Fishing Equipment ( lots of great lakes up in the tooths) download the PDF FWP Beartooth Fishing Guide
IPOD (sometimes nice to have)
150' Climbing Rope (occasionally, have thought about stashing some at a couple places)
Charging Bank for phone
Small LED Lantern for tent
Chew (Must)
Never Enough TP or Wipes
Im sure theres more.......
Great point on the seat. I also brought a little pad to sit on and I think it gets the unsung hero award. I don't know what I would've done without it. Unrelated, but I can't help but wonder about 14 bullets. I brought 8... 7 for shooting at animals and 1 for myself if I missed with the first 7. 14 seems like a ton. Why so many?

What an incredible accomplishment. I was waiting for him to make the post just an amazing ram congratulations @MTGomer

@MTGomer congrats to you my friend. I have been pulling for you for years. It was awesome to be able to spend the day with you and Isaac on Monday in my unit. Not to mention a few celebratory beers and dinner. Your ram really gave my batteries a complete recharge for this hunt. Truly a tremendous accomplishment my friend. Hope to have many more days with you and him in the future back in there somewhere.

Great point on the seat. I also brought a little pad to sit on and I think it gets the unsung hero award. I don't know what I would've done without it. Unrelated, but I can't help but wonder about 14 bullets. I brought 8... 7 for shooting at animals and 1 for myself if I missed with the first 7. 14 seems like a ton. Why so many?
Drop a rifle and have to somewhat re sight in. Probably over kill but I'll take the extra 4oz for 6 more bullets.

Does anyone stash gear during scouting trips then come back to it during season? I've heard of guys doing this with food or water on high country mule deer hunts where it is very dry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back