MT unit 313 moose (Spanish Peaks)

gbfan

Gonna be my first time hunting MT, just wondering if anyone would be willing to offer any general info for the unit. 2012 stats showed only 1 bull killed for 5 tags with 63 days hunted, I'm going to imagine that means a few road-hunters! Can't imagine there's too much pressure with only 5 tags- more interested in how much pressure the unit gets from elk hunters (believe it's elk unit 311), and if there's quite a few grizzlies/wolves. Considering getting a wolf tag as it's only $50 for NR. Not sure if I'll be heading into the wilderness yet (still need to get ahold of the bio), but thought I had read that the area had a few grizz.

I've heard people say the moose might be easier to find come November but I'm looking at hunting the first 2 wks of October, wondering if that should be the best time to hit the rut. Looking at combining the trip with a WY archery elk hunt since I'll only be about 250 miles away (will have more time if I get an elk early). I have hunted moose in northern ID a few yrs ago the last 2 wks of Sept. but that seemed a bit early.

Looking at spending the majority of the time south of Hwy 84 as it looks like some nice country (timber, small streams, lakes and such). Wondering if there are a couple places/towns around the area that might have a laundromat and a store for last-minute supplies or if I'd be best off stopping in Bozeman if that's the way I'm coming in. Also if anyone could recommend a meat locker to store my WY elk (should I be so fortunate), and packer should I end up killing a bull in the wilderness.

Last one- for those of you that have hunted the unit I've attached a pic of my Idaho bull. Wondering if you think I can do better in MT? I think I'll be holding out for a little bigger this time. Hopefully some pics and a story to come this fall.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,718
I'm not too sure but I don't think that deer is feeling any love hanging out by that moose

You are going to hate yourself for applying there. Sorry to share the bad news.

Don't get too worked up about it, its certainly not one of the best units, but there are still moose there, and you should be able to fill your tag. I saw a couple bulls multiple times in that unit last fall. Talk to the bio, she spends a lot of time in that unit, and she's been plenty helpful to me.

Don't get too worked up about it, its certainly not one of the best units, but there are still moose there, and you should be able to fill your tag. I saw a couple bulls multiple times in that unit last fall. Talk to the bio, she spends a lot of time in that unit, and she's been plenty helpful to me.

Will do, thanks. I know the opportunities to hunt shiras don't come along very often so I'm looking forward to it.

I spent close to 50 days in the unit last year and saw 2 bulls. You'll need some luck, religion, or a stack of cash (Ted Turner). I'd give myself better odds of killing a ram in 2 weeks on the unlimited sheep unit I've never set foot in than a bull like yours above in a unit I know about as good as anybody.

Good luck, it will be tough. I know that not all of those hunter-days last year were road hunting, many were very far from it.

I made the same mistake as you and didn't do enough research on the unit before applying. I drew that tag in '09 and spent a lot of time covering a lot of miles. I saw 3 moose...all bulls. 1 was on ted's land, and the other 2 were together. I only found those 2 because a friend of my brothers was scouting elk and happened to see them while glassing. He got in touch with us that night, showed us where they were on a map, and the next morning they were still in the same meadow. I was the only 1 of 5 tags that year to take a moose, but he was nothing to brag about. All 3 were much, much smaller than the one on your wall. Send me a note and let me know where you are planning to hunt and I can fill you in on what I know. My advice would be that if you are hunting for one bigger than the one on your wall, stay home...if you are hunting for meat, take the first one you see. good luck.

Whiskey, funny you mention the not enough research thing. I usually apply for a different unit but that unit wasn't available to NRs this year. I already had a WY elk tag in hand and was planning 3 weeks for that, ended up applying in MT just to keep building points. Of course that's when a guy draws. Should've picked a tougher odds unit. I'll shoot a message later. Thanks.

Least well at least you have a Moose tag. I'd be glad to have that tag. I'm not worried about what everybody else says. Ask the deer hunters and elk hunters they will most likely give you some information. By the way that's very nice Moose. And we're always looking for bigger!!

I also had that tag in a previous life, back when I was kinda inbetween things and had way more time to hunt. As I recall, I spent at least parts of ~26 days, from September through November. Saw two cow and a calf moose. Fortunately quite a few elk, and deer, bear and even a wolf. Pre-reintroduction.
And yes, I'd asked the biologist, and Kurt said Cowboy Heaven and upper Cherry Creek should be just the ticket!!
Should have spent more time in those canyons on the east side...
Back then former FWP warden Bud Hubbard was head of security on the Flying D, and I later heard he saw a group of a dozen or so moose that year, clear down by Anceny!
Incidentally, I found a dead horse of his up by Carpenter Creek once, and must say I like the guy. We even had breakfast once, and he kinda told me where (not) to go.

I'll be in that district quite a bit this year during archery season so I'll keep you posted if I see much also.

Rimrock/track1, when I get a bit more time I'll send a pm, if you wouldn't mind.

spanish moose

I had that tag last year and I would be shooting the first legal bull you see. If it looks like a swamp on Google Earth or a topo map I was probably there. I logged over 100 miles in 11 full days of hunting, nearly all out of a backpack. I'd recently moved to WY so I didn't have much vacation time to spend. I scouted a couple weekends as well.

It was a great exercise in mental toughness and I'm a better hunter because of it, but I'd take my points back if I could.

I was told by some bow hunters that I missed an OK bull by a day in Cherry Cr; other than that I saw one cow, and I don't suck at hunting. I'd be happy to tell you what I know, but honestly it's going to take some luck. When Kurt says he knows that country he's not kidding. Shoot me a PM if you like and we can talk.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back