Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mt sheep unit 424

Hnt4fn

Does anyone have any information about the sheep unit 424 west of Augusta Mt.

My wife killed a ewe in there 6 years ago before they started transplanting sheep out of the unit and then a disease outbreak caused them to pull all the ewe tags. Fun hunt in great country. Fairview Mountain and Ford Creek areas were good for us. The hunt lasted all of 40 minutes. Scouting was way more intensive than the hunt and we scouted 1 day.

Does anyone have any information about the sheep unit 424 west of Augusta Mt.

Yes. The wind can blow.
image.jpg

Was a few years ago but send me a PM and I will send you coordinates of a nice ram seen this trip.

Great tag. Congrats!

Good unit for sure! I have seen sheep on the Fairview plateau quite a few times. Get a hold of Brett Lonner the biologist up there he will surely send you in the right direction.

I haven't ever personally held the tag but hunt the front regularly but as any animal in the rut goes as November rolls around the big boys appear from no man's land. I have a picture of a ram that bred a ewe 15 feet from me in the next unit to the north.

Seems to me that sheep on the front are getting back to decent population numbers and the rams are getting some age.

My wife killed a ewe in there 6 years ago before they started transplanting sheep out of the unit and then a disease outbreak caused them to pull all the ewe tags. Fun hunt in great country. Fairview Mountain and Ford Creek areas were good for us. The hunt lasted all of 40 minutes. Scouting was way more intensive than the hunt and we scouted 1 day.

They've been transplanting sheep out of there for a long, long time.

I've elk hunted that country my whole life and have religiously ran into numerous sheep. PM me if you want any info.

DSCN3452.jpg

Unit 424 just off the road on public land. They show up every year in the same spot about mid November

Last edited:
Anyone have any updated information on the sheep in this area? My managers wife drew the tag and we are trying to get as much info as we cam before the hunt starts! Thanks for any input!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back