Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT Ram Pics

Lawnboy & SDHunter - These were taken in a state park that is NOT open to hunting. Sure wish they would give out a few tags, but it would almost be too easy. The ram to ewe ratio seems to be way out of wack, there appears to be way more rams than ewes there. I think this might be because the FWP uses this population as a transplant source and they try and capture ewes for the most part.

I really need to get up there sometime. I've glassed it a few times in the evenings from a boat, and have seen some really awesome mule deer.

Those two rams are amazing. Didn't they pick up a dead 200 incher up there in the last couple years? I remember reading something about it.

Thanks for the pictures as this is about as close as I will ever get to seeing one of these....

I think this might be because the FWP uses this population as a transplant source and they try and capture ewes for the most part.

They took out 49 earlier this year and sent them to the Tendoy's.

We would take some of those genetics down here in CO.....

Back in the '40's we traded goats for your sheep (16). Those sheep went to the Breaks, but the population died out in the '60's

Back in the '40's we traded goats for your sheep (16). Those sheep went to the Breaks, but the population died out in the '60's

I don't have records of that transplant, but nearly all source sheep were coming from the Tarryall/Kenosha herd back then, which numbered 1,000+ animals. Unfortunately, that herd has a long history of disease epizootics, and the current herd is stable at about 110 individuals.

If only we had today's knowledge back when we were moving sheep all over the west....

I don't have records of that transplant, but nearly all source sheep were coming from the Tarryall/Kenosha herd back then, which numbered 1,000+ animals. Unfortunately, that herd has a long history of disease epizootics, and the current herd is stable at about 110 individuals.

Too bad about that herd.

You are correct, Tarryall in 1947 (Montana's Wildlife Legacy, Decimation to Restoration; 2008). Very interesting Montana bighorn info.

WOW...how often does one get to see two rams of that caliber standing next to one another?!?

Those were the first 16 goats transplanted in CO. After the release in 1947, they weren't seen again until 1954 (hard to believe). The first season occurred in 1964. Six permits issued and 4 goats harvested. In 2011, 229 permits issued and 167 goats harvested.

Sorry for the hijack....:eek:

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back