MT mule deer hunt

schmalts

Kind of dinked out again this year. pretty sure i passed this buck up earlier in the day but took him in a now or never situation about 10AM as he was pushing a doe into a thick draw. Next year...... not going to worry about finishing in a hurry to get at hunting elk and stick to my guns to get a better one.
Drank WAY MORE than i should have too. Someone i know out there is a bad influence, but he sure can cook animal flesh!
Anyway, here it is... I didnt notice until later that the field photos were really terrible (worst than Millers when he has no beard). I either had a bad angle, or bloody drool hanging all the way to the ground from it's mouth, not pretty so i took a few with my best hunting buddy instead.
Way fun hunt again! looking forward to next year.
Mont%20Muley%2006%20017.jpg

oct%20003.jpg

oct%20004.jpg

One day I was glassing around for elk and found some sheep. I saw later that they bedded below a rock cliff so i put a stalk on them. I got some real cool pictures at close range. I will put them up when i get time. Another funny story... My buddy Dave decided to drive out there Monday after he hunter the WI opener. I met up with him later after we both killed deer and asked him to take my deer meat and horns, gun, and a bit of heavy gear home with him so i didnt have as much to haul through the airport. the next day i am eating at a Perkins restraunt and i get a phone call from a game warden who wanted to ask a "few" questions.... Like 15 minutes worth. Then another one calls and asks 30 minutes worth. Seems Dave was half asleep and while he was driving down the highway near the ND border he passed a game check station. They pulled him over a few miles later and saw that he had 2 deer. They were thinking he shot 2 deer and used my tag i guess. Our stories matched up, and i think wheni told them my gun was in his truck with my inbound flight tag still on it they were a little more satisfied. The warden asked me why i didnt drive home with my buddy.. I told him this "what would you rather do, sit in an airplane for 4 hours or spend 22 hours in a truck with a giy that has bad gas" He saw my point.
Anyway, Dave got an $85 fine for passing the checkpoint, and i got a warning for just slitting the tag numbers instead of cutting the notch out completely. He said it was common for us chedderheads to do that because that was all we had to do in WI. I told him i know rules are rules, but C'mon, once the cut is made it can't be undone. He agreed and just gave me a warning.

Sweet pics! I usually just blow by the check stations as well, mostly because I don't kill anything. I'm either really unlucky or need to figure out the 'secret' for getting tags in MT.

Those sheep are like, "Huh? Where in the piss did that thing come from." Congrats on the nice muley.

smalls said:
Nice work schmalts. No luck chasing elk at all?
Smalls, gave it a good effort one day and just a couple half days on other days. I took a fall on a snow covered rock and messed the knee up a little, so i was kind of sore. Then i had to be realistic and stop hunting far off any road the last 1 1/2 days because i flew out and couldnt be shooting something i couldnt get out in time. Everyone said it was a tough year on elk.

If I'd have shot an elk, I would have said they were just trying to make you feel better schmalts...but I didn't, so I will concur with "everyone" :D

I wasn't able to get out much, but I did miss one bull. Next year...

Drank way too much?? I think you didn't bring enough tampons. Did you like the MT pigs? The elk hunting for some reason did seem to be pretty tough this year, most of my friends who usually do well had tag soup.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back