MT LE tag "confusion"

The one thing I always look at is how the violation is dealt with, self reporting and not making excuses changes things a bit in my mind. Mistakes do happen and anyone that thinks otherwise hasn't done much hunting or fishing...
Agreed. Sounds like this dude did not self report since he did not realize his mistake until they showed up at his door. Also agree that hunting in the wrong unit is more significant than using a lighted knock and should be dealt with more severely. But the source of the problem is the same, making assumptions and not being as thorough as needed. Assuming he did not knowingly hunt the wrong unit. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given how little I know.

Several years ago I drew a whitetail tag in Wyo. Unit is only 30 miles from my house. Got permission from a coworker to hunt his families farm. I remember reviewing the regs, looking at the unit maps, doing everything I normally do. First evening hunting the farm, I took both my sons, one was barely out of training pants, and a buddy and his son to tag along. Saw several bucks, thought hard about shooting one but held off. Went back out a second time about a week later and something just told me, as I was getting in the truck to pick up my friend, to look at the regs again. Looked at the unit map again and turns out the farm I was hunting is about 1 mile outside the southern boundary of the unit. Even though the map clearly shows the boundary, I had it stuck in my head that the highway was the boundary. Wrong! This was all on me. Warden at the time was an acquaintance, he shrugged it off and said something to the affect of "no harm, no foul', but had I taken an animal we would be having a different discussion. My boys still give me shit about that, and rightfully so.

I consider myself a conscientious hunter, but still f'ed up, so perhaps I am more sympathetic to how this happens than I should be.

I have watched some of his films and actually like them, which is rare for me. Until I have more information I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I hope for his kid's sake he is telling the truth. Social media will judge him harshly either way, but that is the life he chose.

Sometimes I envy people who can make a snap judgement with little information, it makes life soooo easy. One of my short comings I guess.

I see how you could select the wrong unit. If I remember right you select from a drop down menu. If you select and then bump the scroll wheel on your mouse it will go to the next unit.

I see how you could select the wrong unit. If I remember right you select from a drop down menu. If you select and then bump the scroll wheel on your mouse it will go to the next unit.
Selecting the wrong unit is an honest mistake that I could definitely see happening. Drawing a special permit and not noticing the screw up on the permit is a totally different story.

Selecting the wrong unit is an honest mistake that I could definitely see happening. Drawing a special permit and not noticing the screw up on the permit is a totally different story.
Yup, mistakes can happen!

Several years ago, or longer, I fat fingered my goat unit while applying. When "Successful" appeared......I hunted the unit that was printed on the permit.

Think I can get away with say....drawing an unlimited sheep tag and using it the breaks?
Or maybe like applying for a breaks tag and being successful in the draw, and then realizing that you held an unlimited tag that you had never even applied for.

It seems to me that if danpickar says he was hunting on a general tag it would be factually correct since he didn't have a permit for that unit, that is undisputed. It does not necessarily mean that sterling held no limited entry permit for another unit, which is his claim. Any body know if sterling held a limited entry permit for another unit? That would make all the difference if he didn't.

Is that what he did? The first post said he had a permit.
His story doesn't match what Danpickar states in post #46. I think Dan works for Eastmans.

I'm guessing he had a great reason for pleading guilty and paying the $500 and losing his hunting for 2 years vs taking it to court and pleading his case of misunderstanding? I mean stupidity isn't really a valid excuse for breaking the law, chit happens.

If he got 2 years suspended and 500$ fine that says it all. Sounds like the minimum.

Or maybe like applying for a breaks tag and being successful in the draw, and then realizing that you held an unlimited tag that you had never even applied for.
What do you mean I didnt draw a breaks tag!! I was a shoe in!!!

Hard to believe he didn't know he was hunting the wrong unit. Especially when he gets a lawyer. Shoot, I double check even my resident doe antelope tags before I go hunt, even after going out multiple times. Such an easy thing to check.

Back