MT Goat size?

More of an irritating PITA; no hate or disrespect for the those who express pronghorns as prairie goats or speed goats, nor for those who refer to deer as hogs or elk as studs. For some strange reason it merely seems tritely juvenile to me. On this forum when I see a "goat" thread title it infers a story about mountain goats, so disappointment when it's about pronghorn antelope, a much more common and easily hunted game.

BTW, the pronghorn antelope is not related to the goat, but much more closely to the species, giraffe.
Don't forget the newest elk name: Slammer

More of an irritating PITA; no hate or disrespect for the nickname nor for those who express pronghorns as prairie goats or speed goats, nor for those who refer to deer as hogs or elk as studs. For some strange reason it merely seems tritely juvenile to me. On this forum when I see a "goat" thread title it infers a story about mountain goats, so disappointment when it's about pronghorn antelope, a much more common and easily hunted game.

BTW, the pronghorn antelope is not related to the goat, but much more closely to the species, giraffe.
I know there is zero relation between mountain goat and prairie goat. But I get where you're coming from, if you're a mountain goat lover you are often disappointed when a goat thread turns out to be for antelope.

But we digress on the thread. Nice goat (mountain kind) OP. Will look good on your buddies wall!

• Antilo = antelope; capro = male goat
"Antilocapra americana" "As a member of the superfamily Giraffoidea, the pronghorn's closest living relatives are the giraffe and okapi.[13] The Giraffoidea are in turn members of the infraorder Pecora, making pronghorns more distant relatives of the Cervidae (deer) and Bovidae (cattle, goats, sheep, antelopes, and gazelles), among others." But NOT a goat.

"Capro" goat inference is not accurate with respect to the pronghorn.

Neffa3, sorry for the digression. It is obvious that you and your buddy enjoyed a great hunt and put in the efforts to take a nice billy.
Well done!
yes and no. I am glad we backpacked in, as people often prefer to boat in later in the year when the goats are lower, but to me the effort is part of the reward. However, that being said, it was about as perfect as it could be. Good goat, good spot, good timing. Sometimes the stars do align. It felt plenty hard in the moment, but looking back from just a few days post hunt, and it was noticeably easier than almost all of my failed high buck hunts. Part of me could have used a little more grrr to the trip, but again, it wasn't my hunt.

Just to follow up. We found a decent billy this last week. My buddy decided it was good enough and the location was perfect. Definitely easier to sex in person for me. For some reason I thought the quarters would be bigger. I'm certainly no expert measurer but this one was between 8.5-9". We didn't take any mass measurements.
View attachment 197351
Measured 8 3/4" and 8 5/8"; aged at 6.

Just to follow up. We found a decent billy this last week. My buddy decided it was good enough and the location was perfect. Definitely easier to sex in person for me. For some reason I thought the quarters would be bigger. I'm certainly no expert measurer but this one was between 8.5-9". We didn't take any mass measurements.
View attachment 197351
Trying hard not to make a Jason H quip. Nice goat.
Curious: did it have a noticeable smell?

Back