Mt. Goat fat?

LuketheDog

Who has experience with cooking mountain goat fat? Is it like deer or elk, with the weird mouth feel, or does it have a lower melting point? This goat I shot has a ton of fat, I'd love to use it for grinding up the burger and sausage if it's good!

Who has experience with cooking mountain goat fat? Is it like deer or elk, with the weird mouth feel, or does it have a lower melting point? This goat I shot has a ton of fat, I'd love to use it for grinding up the burger and sausage if it's good!
I suggest taste testing it yourself rather than relying on other opinions. And I suggest providing a story. ;)

Yeah, come on man! You’re gonna just ask about goat fat, rather than give us a write up!

Yeah, come on man! You’re gonna just ask about goat fat, rather than give us a write up!
I suggest taste testing it yourself rather than relying on other opinions. And I suggest providing a story. ;)
Is it just me or is there a hunt story missing from this?

:ROFLMAO:

It's called a "humble brag", but seriously this thing was a fatty and as I'm butchering this morning I'd love to know if I should leave the fat on the meat or grind it back in!

Last edited:
Like @COEngineer said, throw a piece in the frying pan without any seasoning.
You’ll know from the smell pretty quick what to expect, but the taste will for sure let you know.

In my single experience, nothing on a goat is good to eat. Did you throw a chunk in the frying pan or what?

Ok, just following up here. I ground up 5# of burger with 15% goat fat mixed back in. I cooked them smashburger style on the griddle with just a little salt and pepper, they were absolutely great, my kids crushed them! The fat acts similar to beef fat, slightly more waxy than pork fat, not like candle wax as with deer and elk. I saved another 3-4# of fat from it and vacuum sealed it separately for using later.

Goats are tasty but tough, but that's why someone invented grinders and crock pots and cubers. The fat is hardly worth saving but doesn't need excessive trimming either.

Sheep is the nasty stuff for dog food if you have a dog you dont really like so much.

Coengineer has the wrong conclusion but the right methodology. Pan fry a loin chop in nothing but butter from any and every animal before you make any decisions on how to butcher it. Animals and peoples tastes vary widely and (except for sheep) most meat can be made edible. Sometimes it is made edible by giving it to a smoker with no tongue left.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back