MT general elk tag?

silverlab

I posted on a different question here, but thought I better start my own. I am really just looking to get a general archery elk tag this year. Not too interested in a LE permit, would it make sense not to apply for the LE permit and only put a general unit as my first choice just to make sure I am able to hunt MT this year? Thank you.

no...those are 2 separate issues. You apply for the general elk license and the LE permit if you want to hunt a LE area. The general license will cover elk hunting in general seasons and is the prerequisite to the LE permit. In fact when applying online for LE permit only the LE units show up in the dropdown box

Last edited:
no...those are 2 separate issues. You apply for the general elk license and the LE permit if you want to hunt a LE area. The general license will cover elk hunting in general seasons and is the prerequisite to the LE permit. In fact when applying online for LE permit only the LE units show up
no...those are 2 separate issues. You apply for the general elk license and the LE permit if you want to hunt a LE area. The general license will cover elk hunting in general seasons and is the prerequisite to the LE permit. In fact when applying online for LE permit only the LE units show up in the dropdown box
Does applying for a LE permit hinder my odds of getting a general tag or is the gen tag based on odds availabilty soley. I really just want to hunt general to make sure?

What @Mthuntr is saying is that you have to apply for the general tag in order to be able to apply for the limited tag in a 2 step process to apply for a limited tag. If you draw the general (pretty good odds), then you can be in the limited tag drawing. You can't apply for the LE tag without applying for the general tag first.

Last edited:
Does applying for a LE permit hinder my odds of getting a general tag or is the gen tag based on odds availabilty soley. I really just want to hunt general to make sure?

What @Mthuntr is saying is that you have to apply for the general tag in order to be able to apply for the limited tag in a 2 step process to apply for a limited tag. If you draw the general (pretty good odds), then you can be in the general tag drawing. You can't apply for the LE tag without applying for the general tag first.
Yep just what Bluffgruff said...you'll have to actually draw the General Elk License first anyway...The LE permit has no impact on your chances of a general tag since they are 2 separate items. General license drawings are first then LE permit drawing to get the fancy tags

What @Mthuntr is saying is that you have to apply for the general tag in order to be able to apply for the limited tag in a 2 step process to apply for a limited tag. If you draw the general (pretty good odds), then you can be in the general tag limited entry permit drawing. Your application wont be entered in the draw can't apply for the LE tag without applying for and drawing the general tag first.

I assume the above fix is what you intended to say?

OP, if you draw the general tag, get entered into the LE Permit drawing, and are unsuccessful in the LE permit drawing, you still get to keep your General tag.

Last edited:
My cousin, and I applied for Montana LE elk, and deer tags with out fully understanding the process... yes this was a mistake. We didn't apply for the General Elk/Deer tag.

We actually were drawn for the same HD. However we did not apply/get General Elk/Deer tags. From my understanding this shouldn't of even been possible. So now we have specific HD permits but no general tags making us ineligible to hunt this year.

I called Montana FWP but have not heard anything back yet.

Are we SOL?

My cousin, and I applied for Montana LE elk, and deer tags with out fully understanding the process... yes this was a mistake. We didn't apply for the General Elk/Deer tag.

We actually were drawn for the same HD. However we did not apply/get General Elk/Deer tags. From my understanding this shouldn't of even been possible. So now we have specific HD permits but no general tags making us ineligible to hunt this year.

Are we SOL?
You can’t physically put in without applying for the general tags. You have general tags in addition to the LE permits you also drew.

Glad Montana can make such a simple process so confusing.

You can’t physically put in without applying for the general tags. You have general tags in addition to the LE permits you also drew.
That was my understanding as well.

However, the first person I talked to with Montana FWP said that we don't have the general tags, but we do have the permits. She said she was confused too and forwarded me to her supervisor. I ended up going to voicemail. Haven't heard back yet.

Now I don't think I understand it at all. haha.

Glad Montana can make such a simple process so confusing.
Definitely confusing. I feel like it could be much easier.

Are we SOL?
Sheesh, their application process let a NR hunter apply for LE without applying for the NR combo? I guess if you move to MT tomorrow and establish residency you’d have your 180 days just in time to buy your deer and elk tags before rifle season starts. Oof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back