Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT FWP closures for bull elk

MattK

Notice of Elk Season Closures
Region 3 extended elk season hunting districts will close to the hunting of Bull Elk at one-half hour after sunset on Friday, December 19, 2008.

Antlerless elk hunting will remain open in the Region 3 extended season hunting districts until the end of the extended season one-half hour after sunset on Sunday, December 21, 2008.

Hunters in Region 3 are still requested to report each harvested elk to FWP by calling 1-877-397-9453 (1-877- FWP-WILD) within 24 hours. Hunters need to report the sex, age and location of harvest.

I don't know if there's an active sportsman group over there, but if they'd a tried it here we would have been bitching like mad. This is wrong but everyone thinks the FW&P's would never do anything wrong for the sportsman, or against our best interests. The truth is they're catering to the livestock industry. I heard that over 1000 were killed by last week before the big migration.

That season extention for bulls was the biggest bunch of BS a guy could come up with. We asked a FWP officer why not just cows. His response was that they needed to cut the number of elk down significantly. If they did cows only, they didn't think they would get the hunter turnout they needed. What a crock of chit! Man, i spent a lot of time the past couple weeks down in the madison valley and so many guys were passing on cows just to shoot some raghorn..........WTF is wrong with you guys. If your after the meat, shoot the damn cows!

What was also utterly disturbing to watch was all the idiods in the state conglomerated into one area flock shooting into about 250 elk and hoping they hit one. It was seriously one of the most embarrassing things i have seen in our state.

I had intended to take my girlfriend over there for her first elk hunt but never made it. Tell me, how many good bulls were taken in your opinion? Was it mostly the cows/younger animals down low? Or did some serious hunters get after it and slam into the bigger Madison bulls? I only know of one friend that hunted the extension hard who took a good bull.

Attachments

• nakedTY.jpg
    nakedTY.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 716
That bull deserved to live. He'd made it through 5 weeks of archery, 5 weeks of general season. He should still be alive. Nice Picture good way to honor a great bull.

No doubt it sucks the season was open so long.. However, had I had a tag, I'd have been tredging the snow for a bull as well. The beauty of it seems to be that the large mature bulls weren't down on the flats and along the roads.. they usually aren't. I suspect a lot of young bulls were taken. This bull was at least taken by somebody that appreciates them and puts in a serious effort. Can see it wasn't taken on the Madison flats or a winter range.. As for his nude shots... you'd have to know the guy - he does it all the time.

Attachments

• Tyler08bull.jpg
    Tyler08bull.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 481
That thing is a beast.

I thought about going back up there, but was way to busy with work.

It was also just to sketchy to drive 13 hours then have the season close the next day.

The last picture is a beauty! You guys need to get involved. They Dept. wants to get the elk population down to 2500 from 9000. How good will the hunting be then?

How freaking gay is that picture? Crap Greenhorn, don't you know anyone who keeps their clothes on?

Some females I understand, but come on - give everyone's eyes a break!!

Damn nice bull............must be one of them "crooked horn bino slings".....pretty funny bet he loves showin the ladies his photo albums:D

Greenhorn,

there were a couple big bulls that got smoked down low but very few. Most were cows, calves and raggies. I know of one that was 330ish and one that was slightly bigger, maybe 340 that got shot down low. Course they were all dead and loaded when i found out about them because my azz was way the fugg up on the hill in the knee to pocket deep snow where most of the biggens are............in fact i was very near where naked man shot that bull the day prior:) I hunted my loven azz off up there and saw lots of bulls but only a couple real big ones.

critter- it sounds like you were hunting for a bull during the extension, but why when in other posts you seemed adamantly opposed to the extension being open for either sex? Just curious.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back