MT First Antelope Hunt

802flyfish

Looking for suggestions on units to hunt Antelope for archery and rifle this year in Montana. I'm located North of West Yellowstone, but don't mind traveling to fill the freezer. I've been looking at 570 and 360 so far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have any points built up.

700 is the standard it seems lots of public but it isn't what it used to be. Some of the north central Montana units are pretty fun to. IMO if you archery hunt there's not much of a better and funner tag that an archery antelope tag. You just can't pickup a boom stick.

Last edited:
I'd echo region 7. It'll be a really good first experience, easy to get tag, and not incredibly difficult to find goats on public land.

If you are somewhat serious about archery, the archery 900 can not be beat. Lopers are not difficult to get close to. I rank antelope as the second easiest critter to stalk with a bow. If you hunt later in September, using a decoy can be a real kick in the pants!

On the other hand, if you want the ability to use the boom stick, the 700 tag is a good one due to the various public partials.

Nothing wrong with either of your two choices if you have permission on land that lopers frequent!

Good Luck,

Mtnhunter

Last edited:
Region 7, has great odds and plenty public land to run around on in my opinion the best gun unit when it comes to odds, antelope, and places to hunt them. As others have mentioned the 900 tag can be a blast and you can hunt where you find the antelope with that one.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's we used to hunt 570, it was great pronghorn hunting. I remember one opening day 6 of us killed 18 pronghorn.

We stayed in Harlowton, usually at the Graves Hotel, one of the oldest in Montana. There was also a big dinner that was put on by one of the local clubs on Saturday night, before the Sunday opener. Lots of lots of landowners showed up to that dinner and getting permission from a handful of landowners was as easy as striking up a conversation with them.

Times have changed from what I understand from a friend that's tried to hunt there just lately, most, if not all, the places we used to hunt are now leased to outfitters.

I was strolling through the regulations a week or so ago and actually looked at 570. From a purely nostalgic standpoint, I would put in for a tag there if I had the access I once did.

Doubtful I'll ever hunt pronghorn there again.

Are there usually a surplus 900-20 permits ? i was hoping I could put in for a rifle tag and use the 900-20 as a back up, but I'm not sure if I can do that.

I think there were a few leftovers the last couple years but you have to beat the rush for the handful available.
From what I remember they were gone right away the morning you can even buy them. Its more of a luck thing, server crashes, knowing when they actually are available (because its never the time they post it). I dont know if I would want to bank on it at all.

From what I remember they were gone right away the morning you can even buy them. Its more of a luck thing, server crashes, knowing when they actually are available (because its never the time they post it). I dont know if I would want to bank on it at all.
That's very true...I wanted to get one but the hotel wifi I was on was too slow and they were sold before the page refreshed

Back in the late 80's and early 90's we used to hunt 570, it was great pronghorn hunting. I remember one opening day 6 of us killed 18 pronghorn.

We stayed in Harlowton, usually at the Graves Hotel, one of the oldest in Montana. There was also a big dinner that was put on by one of the local clubs on Saturday night, before the Sunday opener. Lots of lots of landowners showed up to that dinner and getting permission from a handful of landowners was as easy as striking up a conversation with them.

Times have changed from what I understand from a friend that's tried to hunt there just lately, most, if not all, the places we used to hunt are now leased to outfitters.

I was strolling through the regulations a week or so ago and actually looked at 570. From a purely nostalgic standpoint, I would put in for a tag there if I had the access I once did.

I share that nostalgia from the same era. I began taking my then six-year-old son to that area to antelope hunt and we enjoyed the sportsman dinner in Harlowton. We would camp down the hill at the fairgrounds campground, get up early, swing by Ray's gas stop and outdoors store for coffee and treats, then excitedly begin our hunting day. Yes, those were the days!

Yes, 570 Loper hunting during that time frame was a bunch of fun! Just knock on any door and access to hunt was granted with a smile and a hand shake. This area became my annual pilgrimage to chase Lopers around, after I had notched my elk tag in the jungle brush of region 1. I also had fun chasing the above average deer that could be found roaming around. My times have changed due to the "Hunting Industry" and yes it is damn near impossible to gain any kind of hunting permission there now days!!

For "Nostalgic" purposes, here are a few taken from that area during your stated time frame,,,,,the "Good Ol Days!!!!

85 Loper.jpg

86 Lopers.jpg

87 Loper.jpg

88 Loper.jpg

89 Loper.jpg

90 Loper.jpg

Sorry @802flyfish, really didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I am hoping that your question was answered from the previous responses. Again, if you have access to hunt, nothing wrong with your 570 choice. Also, this might prove that lopers are quite easy to get within bow range of!

Last edited:
Great pictures. I'm might just stick with the 900 tag and try to fill it before Elk archery starts. I'm in the process of getting permission to hunt on some land in 360 area. Has anyone had good luck setting up blinds on watering holes?

Great pictures. I'm might just stick with the 900 tag and try to fill it before Elk archery starts. I'm in the process of getting permission to hunt on some land in 360 area. Has anyone had good luck setting up blinds on watering holes?

Yes that can be a successful way of doing it, with a few factors. One if there is lots of water around or if there are some big storms that have just come through, In my experience its not really a good way hunt them you would be better off with a spot and stalk. If there is not a lot of water around, and you bring a pee jug to use in your blind, and can stand the 110 degrees it can get in the blind, yeah it works.

Love the old school pictures and the hats are amazing.

Well, finally drew my first antelope tag. Pulled one for 360. Any tips for 360? Planing on getting a few days in during archery. Heard it can be quite crowded during rifle..

Last edited:
Opening weekend is nuts down there. Some of the higher elevation is good if it doesnt snow and push them down to the valley. I usually end up filling my tag midweek when there isn't so much pressure.

Back