MT Elk Hunt

bigamehunter

So I'm coming to Montana for the first time this fall to at least atempt to hunt elk. I have my general license and although its several months away, I'm getting excited. Not only is it my first year in MT but it is only my 2nd year elk hunting so I have a lot to learn. If anyone has any advice on where to go year one in MT I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not looking for anyones "honey hole" just want to be pointed in the right direction. I don't have a preference on where to go within the state, just hope to see some elk.

I will be hunting on foot with a pack and was planning on coming out for about 10 days or so. It would be nice to hunt in some low pressure areas (willing to hike to get to those areas) as long seeing elk is a possibility. The thing that makes it hard for me is that I will not be able to get out there ahead of time to scout some areas. Google earth/maps is about the best I can do to prepare.

I was looking at a couple different areas:

1) Snowcrest & Gallatin- how has the winter/wolves effected the population in this area? How about areas that are away from roads/trails? Advantage-can shoot bull or cow up to Nov 6th.

2) Sapphire Range & John Long Mnts- these areas appear to have the areas to get away from traffic??? But I can only shoot a bull which is my goal but I'm can't be picky this early in my elk hunting career.

These are a few areas I decided to focus on after doing some research. If I'm not headed in the right direction please let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a hand.

I'll be in Montana archery elk hunting for the 1st time this year also.Planning about the same amount of time,but not the same areas.I got alot of help from a few guys which has helped me narrow things down.Also, try and contact the biologists from those areas and ask for suggestions.I've had some good luck doing that in the past.
Just waiting to see if I drew my LE archery tag for elk to make my final plans

Id personally stay clear of the Sapphires and JL's... I've hunted there a lot... not the most productive area (then again, I can get skunked in very productive areas!!!)

Wolves and Winter were/are hard on everything in the Gallatin and Snowcrest, but there are still decent opportunities there, especially for a dedicated foot hunter!

So you are rifle hunting? Opener for 10 days?

I've hunted the Gallatins, but not the other areas you listed. There's elk to be had. Probably less than a few years ago, but with a little hiking, you should be able to find some.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips! I will be going during the rifle season. What suggestions does everyone have on when to go? Is it better to go right at the start of season or to wait til the 2nd week? Waiting to see if I get a permit for a couple areas but I'm not planning on being sucessful...not a negative person, just realistic.

Never hunted the Gallatin but I have hunted the rest.

There doesn't tend to be a lot of elk in the Snowcrests early in the season but if there is a big snow event that can change in a hurry. This might be due to the thousands of domestic sheep that spend the summer in the high parks. It is a very horse friendly area and I have hiked way back into areas with no designated trails only to come upon horseback camps. I am guessing you also have a deer tag, so it could be a negative that the Snowcrests require a special tag to hunt mule deer.

The elk numbers in the saphires and JL mnts are down but you should be able to find some if you get out and hike a few miles. I hunted the saphires for years and had some great hunts but it got harder and harder to find elk so I have moved on to other areas. Also need a special mule deer permit here. In my opinion there are definitely better places in both the NW and SW parts of the state to hunt elk.

Gallatin can be good, but if you are not comfortable sleeping with the griz I would consider other areas! If you do end up in this area let me know I may join you for an evening.

Personally, I would go to the Snowcrests if I wanted to kill an elk and was willing to get back from the roads. That said, the Sapphires can be great if deep snows push elk out of the Big Hole, but hunt it late in the season.

Personally, I would go to the Snowcrests if I wanted to kill an elk and was willing to get back from the roads. That said, the Sapphires can be great if deep snows push elk out of the Big Hole, but hunt it late in the season.

That's what happened last year. We now have a bull to cow ratio of less than 10 per 100 cows. That's the second year in a row, now we must go to a more conservative season structure because of it. LE maybe?

That's what happened last year. We now have a bull to cow ratio of less than 10 per 100 cows. That's the second year in a row, now we must go to a more conservative season structure because of it. LE maybe?

Unfortunately so true. I'm all for LE when bull:cow ratios are so low, but maybe a quota system would be better? That way everyone still gets to hunt their HD, at least for a while.

That said, the Sapphires are not where I would go if I had my choice of the whole state. I'm close and I don't even go there. The Snowcrests on the the other hand .....

Bigamehunter - I've been doing a ton of research myself this year to increase my chances and also expand my hunting areas. Call the biologists. It's your best bet and they LOVE to talk elk. They are some really great folks, if you can get a hold of them this time of year that is. Good luck.

I spent a few days last july camping and climbing peaks in the snowcrest so I thought I post a few pics to give you an idea of what the terrain is like. These are all from the area around Sunset Pk, Olson Pk, and Hogback Mnt. Fisrt time posting pics here so we shall see if it works.
DSC09043.jpg

DSC09026.jpg

DSC09017.jpg
This next one is looking east across the ruby river to black butte in the gravellys and the madison range in the far background
DSC09027.jpg

DSC09039.jpg
My hiking buddy on top of sunset peak with olson peak in the near backgrond
DSC09037.jpg

Here are some of the sheep I mentioned in a previous post going past the cabin I stayed in on their way into the mountains.
DSC09066.jpg

Another flock already up in a high park. I spent two evenings and one morning glassing from way up high and only spotted a few deer, one bear, no elk, and thousands of domestic sheep spread out through the high parks. I killed a bull in there a few years ago and have been on two other successful hunts in there but they were all late in the season when snow had gotten the herds thinking about heading for the blacktail/Robb-Ledford winter range. Didn't have much luck in the early season but that could just be me:D
DSC09060.jpg

Looking back east towards Olson and sunset peaks from the very long and dusty approach road. It was over 60 miles before I hit pavement in Dillon on the way out. Make sure you have a vehicle with good clearance and 2 sets of chains if you plan on driving any of the spur roads going into the mountains if there is any snow or ice. I barely made it in to the cabin I stayed at in the middle of July.
DSC09068.jpg

That is gorgeous country... Too bad it gets hit so hard.

From the very little bit I've hunted the Snowcrests during rifle season, you need to be up as high as you can to get to most the bulls.

Theat...are you heading in from the East, off the Ruby then? Man...that IS some beautiful country. Little "easy" looking though so it probably gets run over pretty good...

I've hunted the Snowcrests a lot...back when there were a lot more elk in it too. Things have changed a in the last ten years and not all for the worse. Used to be a good place to see a ton of elk and still can be but it is frustrating.
Beautiful country for sure but look at it carefully. The whole range is never more than 4-5 miles wide at the most and there is PLENTY of access. My opinion is if you can stomach opening day, the pressure will move elk around and present opportunities IF you're in the right places. Otherwise, wait for tough weather, and it doesn't always come before the end of the season. I'm certainly not a guru but I think checking out some of the country to the east in one of theat's pictures would be a great place to learn a lot about elk.
Good Luck

My son & I are heading to the Sapphires on an archery elk hunt, we'll see how it pans out & then I'll have some info! (grin) A lot of ones success stems from solid preparation!

ElkNut1

in the sapphires it is very difficult to find elk these days. Ive twisted Hornseekers arm into coming along on many unproductive trips there. Unproductive as in not sight, sound or track of an elk. But if you can stick with it for a long season you might get one of the last remaining elk in that country.

Back