MT draw results are up

No draw on NR big game combo with 0 PP - thought it was a shoe in with the economic situation.

My hunting buddy and I were both able to draw the LE tag we wanted with three points. This was the primary tag I was after for this fall. Most of the other applications I put in for were for moose, goat, sheep, or long shot elk/deer tags. Excited to be heading to Montana in September.

Because of the number of ppl w one Pt or two u could have better odds w zero pts as they reserve I think 20 or 25% for non pt holders?
I believe its 25% that goes into a random draw for anyone who didn't draw from the pref point pool which is 75%.

This was my first time putting in for the MT draw. I had put in for the 900-20 units but no luck but did draw the Elk combo tag. I had bought a preference point but had no previous points. I also bought a bonus point but I know it didn't count toward this year but maybe next year it might help me draw something?

My dad and best friend put in for the non resident combo tag with 1 PP and neither drew... joining the alternate list when it comes out. I thought they would have gotten a tag due to COVID-19 but I guess there were more applications than I thought....

No draw on NR big game combo with 0 PP - thought it was a shoe in with the economic situation.

I saw somewhere apps were up. Same in New Mexico, I would expect Colorado to be the same as well, Nevada too. Whoever says hunting is dying is lying....more apps every year.

@HONEYBADGER, most serious hunters will sacrifice their retirement contributions before missing a draw cycle...not always logical, but reality...

@HONEYBADGER, most serious hunters will sacrifice their retirement contributions before missing a draw cycle...not always logical, but reality...
Yep I'll be that 90 year still working due to the dang elk. People will ask why that old guy is still working and people will say because he lived a full life chasing critters.

At least that how I Invision it going. Or they will say he is still working because he was a dumba$$ all his life.🤔🤔🤔🤔

I drew my MT general BG combo this year as well, drew it last year so had 0 points but did buy the PP option so if I understand the process I had one PP going in.

This year should be interesting. My previous elk hunts have been all been DIY truck camp/wall tent base camp type hunts. This year, due to family commitments and other hunt plans for my hunting partners I'm heading out alone. Due to the limitations of packing out an elk alone I wont be on any deep dark back country trip but I will for go my wall tent set up and plan for a combination of sleeping under my pickup topper and out of my backpack in order to be a bit more mobile. I'm excited to do this on my own, but definitely not looking forward to getting to haul out on my own however?!

Non resident BG combo and 900-20 Archery Elk tag. First LE Elk tag for Montana for me so should be a fun one. Much better than hunting Washington for true spike elk!

Hey everyone, new guy on the block here. I think this is going to be an interesting draw year. My daughter drew the 380-20 bull tag. Should be a real fun hunt, we plan to start with the archery hunt and go until she gets one or we run out of time. I'm looking forward to packing the camera on this trip.

Hey everyone, new guy on the block here. I think this is going to be an interesting draw year. My daughter drew the 380-20 bull tag. Should be a real fun hunt, we plan to start with the archery hunt and go until she gets one or we run out of time. I'm looking forward to packing the camera on this trip.
That will be a fun hunt! I had a blast when I drew that tag two years ago. Feel free to DM me if you're not familiar with the area.

Looks like the elk hunting gods finally took mercy on me and I found a 2020 Elk Permit in the Successful tab! 621-20!!! Can't wait to explore the breaks with a tag in my pocket!
I had that same tag in 2018. You should have fun hunting that unit if you have realistic goals on the size of bull you would shoot.

Just curious where you got info on PP if it counts for the year you purchase or the following? I’m hearing that it doesn’t count.

Just curious where you got info on PP if it counts for the year you purchase or the following? I’m hearing that it doesn’t count.
Experience. I had 1 pp coming into this year , I bought another at time of app so I had 2 going in and yes it counts . Bonus points do not until next year

Another new guy to the forum.

The stars aligned for me this year and I drew a NR permit for 799-20. I have a feeling this is going to be a LONG summer.

Back