MT Deer Tag!!!

Chipper

My party and I have just recived our Mt deer tags.We were thinking about Custer National Forest. We will be doing our first western hunt. Do it yourself style!! Being from the east where most of our hunting is done in tree stands this will be a big change of hunting style for us. Im thinking eastern MT will be our best bet because of the rolling and more open terrain as opposed to the timbered mountians of the western part of the state. Any thoughts on that. Not that any of us would have any problems physicaly being that we range in age from 23-28. But Im thinking it would be easier to spot game at longer distances. Ive heard contradicting reports as to the severity of the winter in that part of the state so any imput from boots on the ground would be great.Another thing that I like about Custer which Im sure is the same in other places is that we can camp anywhere for free.We will be towing my 26 Ft camper so we will be mobile any help would be awesome!!!

Congrats on the tags. Custer NF should be renamed Cluster F NF... Expect a whole lot of company. Deer numbers are down across eastern MT and the only hold out it seems is the SE corner.

If it was me, I'd hunt the western part of the state. Fewer deer, but also fewer deer hunters.

Good luck on your hunt! I'm thinking pretty serrious about going "home" for Thanksgiving and chasing deer/elk as well. Been a few years.

Damn I was afraid of there being alot of hunters. We were planning on hunting from November 12th until the the 25th. Im being told that that would put us right in the middle of the mule deer rut.We have all killed many whitetails and are mostly after mule deer but a nice whitetail wouldnt be passed up of course. We also want to check out the block management land around that area.

We went to the Custer four years ago and again last year. We only saw one other person hunting during both of these trips once we got off the road. There are alot of road hunters, but if you get away from the roads we had the hills to ourselves. Four years ago we saw alot more deer than last year, and all three of us got good bucks. Last year there was only two of us but we didnt see anything larger than a 2 point. It is beautiful country, and you will definately have a good time. Hopefully the deer have rebounded some, it didnt sound like too bad a winter there last year. Good luck!

Dont worry much about other hunters,you will be fine.I've hunted eastern montana and it is alot of fun.be prepared for mud unlike what you see at home,and wide open country.Montana is a great place to hunt and those muleys are alot bigger body than you will be used to hunting,not quite as spooky as these whitetails,but really fun to chase.and dont worry about that mud,it will dry out alot faster than you could believe!

be carefull you need two maps. the custer national forest map,and the motor vehicle use map. they close and open roads every year. just becuase theres a two track on your national forrest map does not mean you can drive on it.you can call the ashland ranger station to send you one or just stop in there free. hunting is tough and alot different then hunting in the east.deer herd is down,but they had a very mild winter. ive done ok there you will be in the heat of the rut so you should be in good shape.again give the rangers a call there really helpfull.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back