Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT: Choose 900-20 Antelope license or rifle

RobG

There is a broader thread on proposed changes, but the subject of the 900-20 hasn't really been discussed.

Antelope/Goat/Bison and Bear changes are at http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicCom...telopeMooseSheepGoatBisonBearWolfSeasons.html

The following is proposed:
"Statewide: Change the 900-20 archery-only license to a first-and-only choice with a separate earlier drawing."

If you don't know, the 900-20 permit allows you to archery hunt antelope in most districts. It is a nice fall-back if you don't draw a rifle tag.

At the meeting in Bozeman Howard Burt said an earlier drawing will help people (especially non-residents) plan better because currently the antelope tags are issued very close to the archery opener. Burt claimed the archery harvest is negligible so there is no biological reason to make changes. The rifle drawing can't be held earlier because the biologists will not have finished their populations counts.

He described this as a "choose your weapon" plan - i.e., if you drew the archery tag you couldn't draw the rifle tag. If that is true I would not like that situation; I preferred 900-20 to be a fall back plan. However, if you can still buy surplus 900-20 permits after the rifle drawing it would be ok. Maybe they should even up the number of permits available or just make it over the counter for archery.

rg

Last edited:
I'm in support of this.

If you're dead set on hunting pronghorn every year, apply for the archery tag.

This should help out draw odds on some of the rifle tags.

I'd also like to see a few more units added to the no-go list on the 900 tag. There's at least one unit I know of that sees almost as much public land harvest on the 900 tag as it does in rifle season.

Personally, I like it the way it is :cool:

Randy is right though, it would help draw odds for rifle.

I too am in favor of the change. The 900 tag allows you statewide access, which is potent IMO. I also think it will improve some rifle odds, or people will just opt out of the 900 altogether. I also like the idea of archery guys getting their tag results earlier.

At the meeting in Bozeman Howard Burt said an earlier drawing will help people (especially non-residents) plan better because currently the antelope tags are issued very close to the archery opener. Burt claimed the archery harvest is negligible so there is no biological reason to make changes. The rifle drawing can't be held earlier because the biologists will not have finished their populations counts.
rg

I support this change. If you want to archery hunt antelope, then apply for the tag.

Totally disagree with the "negligible" archery harvest. FWP has no idea. Every bow hunter that I know, kills an antelope with their bow..every year.

I support this change. If you want to archery hunt antelope, then apply for the tag.

Totally disagree with the "negligible" archery harvest. FWP has no idea. Every bow hunter that I know, kills an antelope with their bow..every year.
I may have misunderstood Mr. Burt when I thought he said harvest wasn't an issue. He didn't do a very good job of explaining this proposal even when I talked with him afterwords. He also described this as "choose your weapon," but I assume if you drew a rifle tag you will still be able to hunt the archery season in the district you drew in.

Last edited:
I really could care less what they do with the 900 permit. Funny how they like to change things that don't matter much, but can't begin to think of changing things that would make a real difference.

When does FWP do their counts anyways? I have never understood why Montana's antelope drawing results come out so much later than everyone else's.

When does FWP do their counts anyways? I have never understood why Montana's antelope drawing results come out so much later than everyone else's.

In June and July, which is why they wait so late for the draw.

I'm all for this. I think it will have an impact in one way or another. It will either improve rifle draw odds or help limit crowding during the archery hunt. Every hunter that I know puts in for a rifle tag as first choice and uses the 900 as a fall back.

According to his report, Dean Waltee's 2017 flights for districts 320, 321, and 330 were July 19th, Aug 3, and Aug 4th. I don't remember when the drawing results are published.

Back