Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Bonus Points

Kiwi

I’ve read gohunt and the MT regs but still have a question on MT bonus points. If I buy a 900 archery pronghorn tag and NR big game deer/elk combo, can I also buy bonus points for pronghorn, elk and deer in the same year (2021)? Thanks in advance.

I believe so as well. If you apply for Antelope and elk/deer combo and want to purhcase Bonus points make sure you do it at time of application. If you draw the 900 tag as first choice you will lose the antelope points, if you draw as second choice you will keep those points (including the one you purchased at time of application).

Thanks Riplip. That’s good to know.

I don’t have any bonus points, so think I just buy them for elk and deer this year. If I understand the system I will loose my preference points (if I draw with 2) but have 1 bonus point for next year.

For pronghorn I think they changed the regs and 900 has to be first choice to draw now.

Complicated but works well for me.

Correct, if you draw a tag you will lose the preference points, but if you don't apply for or draw a LE permit as first choice you will maintain the bonus point.

I am not as familiar with the antelope regs, but sounds like you have looked into it.

And yes MT is a bit complicated, but usually works for me as well. Good luck.

I looked into this a bit and correct me if I'm wrong but there is a separate 900 series antelope bonus point. Therefore I would think you could apply for 900 series and draw. And still purchase regular pronghorn bonus point for that year. Separate draw, separate points?

Thanks Riplip. That’s good to know.

For pronghorn I think they changed the regs and 900 has to be first choice to draw now.

I haven’t looked into this for the coming season but as a resident they removed 900 as a second choice at least a couple years ago.
For us to draw, it needs to be first choice. I suspect non-residents are the same. When you draw it you lose any accumulated bonus points and you will not get a bonus point for that year as you drew it.
Preference points for nonresidents is a different thing.

My experience last year as a non-resident was the same as western traveler described. 900 could only be used as a first choice, with no second option. You could buy a point for that as well, but weren't able to apply for the 900 and buy a rifle point.

This year I applied for Antelope 900-20 Archery Only.

I purchased a point in 2021 so expected to go into the draw with this one point. But when I checked my points on MyFWP it states "Antelope 900-20 Archery Only (2 points)". I have done some research to see if these 900 bonus points are applied the year purchased, like MT NR preference points, but can't see the answer.

Anyone know? or notice this bump in their 900 points? Its not a problem, I'm just curious.

I read that starting this year FWP has started updating your bonus points as soon as you apply, not after the drawing as in years past. If you end up drawing a tag, your points will be zeroed out when you draw a tag.

I read that starting this year FWP has started updating your bonus points as soon as you apply, not after the drawing as in years past. If you end up drawing a tag, your points will be zeroed out when you draw a tag.
Thanks for that Gerald. Makes sense. Fingers crossed I can draw with one point.

PS i re-read your comment, and hopefully that means I have two points going into this years draw.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Thanks for that Gerald. Makes sense. Fingers crossed I can draw with one point.

You bought a point in 2021. Did you buy a point as well when you applied this year for the 900?

I think you should have a good shot at drawing in either case.

Yes, I got a point 2021 and also when I applied this year. From memory last year the odds were about 50% with one point. I got excited when I thought I might have 2 points haha last year the odds were 80%.

Yes, I got a point 2021 and also when I applied this year. From memory last year the odds were about 50% with one point. I got excited when I thought I might have 2 points haha last year the odds were 80%.
I am pretty sure you should go into the draw with 2 points. According to go hunt that would have put you at 87% last year. That will likely fall some this year though.

Does anyone know if you keep your Bonus Points if you have to return an Antelope tag. The results haven't come in yet but I'm almost certain to draw since I've accrued a good amount of points but I drew in another state and might not have time to get to the Antelope.

First year that I'm going to buy a bonus point in MT for antelope.

Can you buy one for 900 archery as well as a basic antelope point, or just one or the other?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back