MT Big 3

If successful in the drawing, the nonresident then purchases the tag for $750. It looks like the $50 is just for application fee and doesn't get subtracted from the price of the tag.

Last edited:
There will always be plenty of people lined up ready to gamble some serious scratch on being able to hunt moose sheep or goat in Montana. I paid more for my Wyoming moose license 14 years ago than Montana charges now. If you don't think its worth it don't apply. Bummed to find MT will no longer require all the cash up front. Odds will get worse and those with max points are roped in at this point.

In other words more non resudents will be applying this year than ever. Residents as well. Wanna bet?

New fees and draw...

I'm staying in the mix. By golly I would like to draw before I'm too old to hold a rifle which might not be that long off. As long as I can dream of the big three and have bonus points I'm in. Gotta dream big boys. BTW, this ain't no dress rehearsal. You go this way but once. MTG

As I see it... the heart of the issue is that the cost of mere opportunity is getting to the point where the average guy isn't even able to participate. What seems to be happening across all the states is a dramatic increase simply for the CHANCE, and that is a little messed up. I understand that these agencies have rising costs and budget constraints, but what is happening is that the average guy can't afford to even give himself a chance, and that's a slippery slope that makes me a bit queasy. I mean, I'm going to stay in the game for MT sheep & goat, and my chances might even go up. But is that good? Is it right that I might have a better chance because some guy who loves to hunt, but makes a little less, can't afford to stay in the draw? That doesn't smell right.

There are some activities that will be impossible for a guy unless he has money to burn. I get that. Yachting, breeding Kentucky Derby thoroughbreds, traveling the world on a luxury cruise boat... yeah... you're gonna need some money to do those things. But an American guy should be able to go hunting in a neighboring state or he should at least be able to afford the CHANCE to go hunting in a neighboring state. One of the goals in the hunting community should be affordability in my opinion. When we deliberately start pricing people out of the activity, we do so at our own peril. Heaven knows we lose enough hunters every year for other reasons. Let's not push others out the door if we can help it.

Someone once said " you're going to run out of health before money" or something like that.

Someone once said " you're going to run out of health before money" or something like that.

I use to believe this but now I'm wondering.

IMO I see moose chances for non rez going up. Sheep and goat getting lower odds simply because its cheaper to apply at a little more than 100 bucks, Think the odds for rez will stay the same still cheap to apply in MT. I hate to let my points go on moose and deer but neither is that high on my list in MT. Population declines on the moose and very few tags given out in MT. for them every year. But someone has to get them just won't be me. Goog luck fellas.

How much are sheep and moose points in WY?

Too high for my blood also quit buying points there several years ago when they raised them probally a stupid mistake but couldn't afford them at the time. Was sitting on quite a few already. Guess reality is I may never in my life get to hunt sheep/goat in a western state. Have gotten lucky and hunted moose in AK. and Maine so my moose bug is kinda filled right now.

In other words more non resudents will be applying this year than ever. Residents as well. Wanna bet?

That's a bet I wouldn't take. Not having to front the money is a big thing for folks, and I am willing to make the bet that someone in FWP did the research on this and figured they would bankroll more application money by making this change.

The whole thing is short sighted at best. Heaven forbid residents pay a little more for their tags.

I'm out for goats and moose. Canada and Alaska are sounding much better right now and I can just pay when I want to go, not throw away money every year and maybe get drawn in 25 years. Who knows how many more times they'll jack with the fees and points structure making my odds worse over the next 20 years? History says it's only get worse. "…AND FOR THAT REASON I'M OUT" - Mark Cuban

As I see it... the heart of the issue is that the cost of mere opportunity is getting to the point where the average guy isn't even able to participate. What seems to be happening across all the states is a dramatic increase simply for the CHANCE, and that is a little messed up. I understand that these agencies have rising costs and budget constraints, but what is happening is that the average guy can't afford to even give himself a chance, and that's a slippery slope that makes me a bit queasy. I mean, I'm going to stay in the game for MT sheep & goat, and my chances might even go up. But is that good? Is it right that I might have a better chance because some guy who loves to hunt, but makes a little less, can't afford to stay in the draw? That doesn't smell right.

There are some activities that will be impossible for a guy unless he has money to burn. I get that. Yachting, breeding Kentucky Derby thoroughbreds, traveling the world on a luxury cruise boat... yeah... you're gonna need some money to do those things. But an American guy should be able to go hunting in a neighboring state or he should at least be able to afford the CHANCE to go hunting in a neighboring state. One of the goals in the hunting community should be affordability in my opinion. When we deliberately start pricing people out of the activity, we do so at our own peril. Heaven knows we lose enough hunters every year for other reasons. Let's not push others out the door if we can help it.
While I agree with your thoughts and appreciate the clarrification of the second paragraph, I still don't think the 'average guy' is priced out. I know lots of avid deer hunters here in IN that wouldn't think of spending that kind of money on an application/point. However, they blow more than that on 'hunting' gear a year that is really no more usefull than the point. A couple hundred bucks is gone in a hurry, chasing new bow sites, treestands, ground blinds, deer piss, etc. Hardly a one of these guys are financially unable to afford the couple of hundred a year, they just choose not to.

I have not applied for multiple states before, because at that time I just didn't have the money. Heck, I went a couple years with only buying 1 big game tag total. So I do get that it can be tough, but I still don't think the 'average man' is priced out yet. Even if they are, there will still be more folks applying than their are tags, regardless of the tag price or application fee.

I haven't been in this game nearly the time some of you have and I simply can't afford nor willing to do it.If come to the conclusion that sheep and goats just might not be in the cards for me in this life...maybe the next one.... I'M OUT......:cool:

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back