MT B Elk tags

802flyfish

Just got an email from FWP stating I have the opportunity to buy one of the following:

ELK B 004-00

ELK B 005-00

ELK B 333-01

ELK B 411-00

ELK B 595-00

In terms of BMA and Elk populations can someone recommend a particular one? Being based in Gallatin County, I was leaning towards 411. This will be my 2nd year hunting for Elk so I’m hoping I can finally fill the freezer this time around.

802: Wouldn't you want to buy the one for the entire region, rather than one district, meaning like the ELK B 004-00.
I had the Elk B 005-00 and never filled it last year, but had for the entire region.

802: Wouldn't you want to buy the one for the entire region, rather than one district, meaning like the ELK B 004-00.
I had the Elk B 005-00 and never filled it last year, but had for the entire region.
The 004 tag and 005 are generally not valid on national forest land which make up the majority of the public land that would hold elk in each region.

I should of read the regulations before posting. Got a little too excited when I found out. Aren’t all Elk B tags invalid on NF?

The 411 tag would be tough to fill. The 004 and 005 tags not only give you more areas to hunt but also more areas with later seasons. They are valid on BLM and State, some of which has fantastic elk hunting. Will require some work though. Good luck. By the way, I will have two 004-00 tags in my pocket, just in case....

The 004-00 tag in my experience is a good one lots of Blm and state land in R4 that hold elk

What about buying an OTC for 389? That includes 390, 391, 393. All close for Gallatin County. I didn't draw a B tag this year so I'm thinking of getting the 389. This also has the issue of not being able to hunt on National Forrest.

Haven’t filled my general tag yet so I might be hunting come shoulder season. Has anyone hunted chain buttes BMA? Looks like a lot of BLM on the west side of district 410..

Haven’t filled my general tag yet so I might be hunting come shoulder season. Has anyone hunted chain buttes BMA? Looks like a lot of BLM on the west side of district 410..

Did you draw the 410-02 tag? If not you cannot use your general tag there. The permit is a pre req. to use the general tag there. Also, the 004-00 tag is not good for shoulder seasons in 410.

Interested in feedback from folks with the 004-00 tag.
I was out there last week of October in the breaks area.
Saw no elk. Locals said none or not many elk in the area other than on a private place called the horse ranch.
Also checked out 420 but no being able to hunt NF or WMA limited that.

Did see elk in 410 and north side of the river in 621 and 680.

Now I'm brand new to western hunting, elk hunting, and first time ever in MT so I'm very sure I don't know what I am doing. Just curious if there are many huntable elk with that tag or if it is more of a long shot tag.

Saw tons of mulies, would like to come back another time for them.
Saw tons of pheasant and grouse, definitely bring a shotgun for next time too.

Back