Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT archery hunt clarification

schmalts

O.K. i have gotten conflicting reports now so i will ask here. I have a MT combo tag. I will be going out there friday to archery hunt. Do i need any other permits to archery hunt?? Is the combo tag good for archery and rifle later in the season without any other permits?

You need an archery stamp to bow hunt. I got one years ago and get one every year so I never had to take the archery hunters safety class. You will need to check on that. If you don't use your tags during bow season you can use it during rifle season, if they are general tags and not archery specific. I do that a alot. 2point

Schmalts, there are some areas of the state that require a permit. For example, if you are hunting the missouri breaks(for Elk), you cannot hunt without a permit for that area. Now you can hunt Deer in the Breaks, there with no permit required. You just need to study the regulations pertaining to the areas you will be hunting.

As far as the archery stamp goes, If you have a archery stamp from your home state, you will need that to purchase an archery stamp. If you dont have that, then you are required to take the archery safety test. This test is required no matter your age. So dont leave without your archery stamp documentation.

Hope that helps.

Also (and this may suck as you're leaving Friday) I don't know about your home state or MT for that matter but out here our Archery Stamp (through Int. Bowhunters Education Foundation) was a friggin two day affair to get!

Yes, MT course is pretty extensive. It is a 2 week course. 2 nights per week for 3 hours. Then a final feild test following a simulated blood trail.

O.K. Just got worked up reading this so i did some more calls and got through to someone at the F&G. She said all i need is a prior archery tag from MT or my own state, not proof of a state archery course. She said basicly it is to show i have archery hunted before. I will be able to get it at walmart that night in Billings

As far as the archery stamp goes, If you have a archery stamp from your home state, you will need that to purchase an archery stamp. If you dont have that, then you are required to take the archery safety test. This test is required no matter your age. So dont leave without your archery stamp documentation.
I think that is what he said. :rolleyes:
Of course you know that since you hunted MT archery last year. ;)

Later punk.

Good luck twinkle toes..

You're going to need it. My guess is somebody on the internet suggested you to hunt an absolutely crappy place, no elk, no deer, hillbillies and hickville area of Montana. What a SICK joke! ;)

GFH- Sounds similar to ours- 2 six hour days including shooting unmarked yardage course, elevated (treestand) shooting, vital zone placement, blood trailing, etc...like I said- nothing you want to have to fit it two days prior to a hunt :)

mtmiller said:
I think that is what he said. :rolleyes:
Of course you know that since you hunted MT archery last year. ;)

Later punk.
Miller I think that may be what threw me off. I do not remeber getting a stamp last year, maybe because the tag i had was "archery only"?? or maybe i was hunting illigal without one. Or maybe i did get one, I have something here that looks like a 2004 state land permit but says nothing about archery on it. My memory is not what it used to be. can a guy get alzimers at 39?
Anyway, i didnt save the tag, wish i would have now.

Greenhorn, the loser that told me to come to MT better be ready to drink beer if i show up in his town. hump

Nothing like a little last minute paranoia to get the ol' heart rate up, is there Schmalts? :rolleyes:

noharleyyet said:
Nothing like a little last minute paranoia to get the ol' heart rate up, is there Schmalts? :rolleyes:
Nope, never feel like I wasnt rushed at the last minute. One good thing about going solo is not worrying your buddy will forget something or screw things up for you.

schmalts said:
Nope, never feel like I wasnt rushed at the last minute. One good thing about going solo is not worrying your buddy will forget something or screw things up for you.

Good point....best of luck.

I had the same thing happen last night about a habitat stamp required for NM.

Alabama has the system, walk in bay a license and its good for a year. (or a lifetime)
DONE.

Good Luck in MT, and kill a really nice combo

BigHornRam said:
Good luck Schmalts. Try not to molest any of our endangered bears while your out here!
Is it molesting if i stick my .41 snub up its as and feltch him some lead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back