MT 313-45 Elk Permit

Hopefully a cold snap will bring some more of the bulls out.... I cant afford an outfitter so this is DIY but I hope there will be some mature bulls hanging around. How many total bulls did you see while hunting?

Not counting spikes,,, out of the park with a rifle at hand,,zero. We had what I thought was ideal weather the last 5 days of the season. It was cold and we had some snow every day.

I hope you do better.

You hear the 80s and 90s and even early 2000s of all him outfitters bringing 13, 14, 15 elk out a whack with mules on cold days..... I've seen the photos......
Hey @EYJONAS! I started following the Unlimited sheep tag threat after I realized I put in for the 303 Sheep tag.... didnt do my homework enough and didnt realize its an unlimited tag but I am excited for the opportunity to get out and find some sheep and maybe some elk along the way. My game plan is to hunt sheep most the fall in 303 and hope I am one of the lucky 2 to strike first.... then hunt the last couple weeks of the season with my Elk permit! I am going to be busy haha this will be my first sheep hunt. Any tips for a rookie?

Hey @EYJONAS! I started following the Unlimited sheep tag threat after I realized I put in for the 303 Sheep tag.... didnt do my homework enough and didnt realize its an unlimited tag but I am excited for the opportunity to get out and find some sheep and maybe some elk along the way. My game plan is to hunt sheep most the fall in 303 and hope I am one of the lucky 2 to strike first.... then hunt the last couple weeks of the season with my Elk permit! I am going to be busy haha this will be my first sheep hunt. Any tips for a rookie?
I'm send you a pm when I get some time but you've got the combination for a perfect storm for a hunting season to say the least haha

Back in the early nineties we used to park in Yankee Jim and hike up on the Tom Minor side. You might try that later in the season after a dump of snow. There are some good hidey holes after the first climb. Horseman dont dare.
When I hunted there in the early nineties I never went south of Trail Creek except when I had the late tag. The war zone just wasn't for me.

When I hunted there in the early nineties I never went south of Trail Creek except when I had the late tag. The war zone just wasn't for me.
We never took a trail...dont even know where Trail creek is ;)
Never saw much for hunters...mostly bulls and great muledeer. Stopped going there a few years after. Never braved The Flats for fear of getting in a crossfire.
Sad things have changed so much from those glory days...wish I had known those would be the glory days.

I’m also new to this site but did join and post before the draw. I’ve hunted this unit 2 years before the permit and 2 years after. I also drew this tag for my first ever elk permit. Should be an interesting year. Best of luck. Lots of Griz so I wouldn’t suggest hunting alone.

I’m also new to this site but did join and post before the draw. I’ve hunted this unit 2 years before the permit and 2 years after. I also drew this tag for my first ever elk permit. Should be an interesting year. Best of luck. Lots of Griz so I wouldn’t suggest hunting alone.
Thanks! Yeah I have heard about the Griz being in that area.... did you draw the permit for this year?

For what it's worth.

Last year down there I never saw any grizzly sign. A few years ago, I saw plenty of sign and one bear. He was working on a gut pile.

In my opinion that place is worse now than ever. Before permit was required - you couldn’t pay me to waste a day hunting that place. So many , so many basic general MT areas are far better than 313.

Ah for the good old days when they would drive the elk across the flats at the shooting gallery and all you needed was to be fleet of foot and carry a knife. If you survived the stray bulets and had guts enough, you had your elk. It didn't look good in "63" anymore than it does now.

Congrats on the tag if you put in for it you want to hunt it for your own reasons, it is a shame what has happened down there it isn't what it used to be for sure, I hope you find a good bull. Do you have access to Horses?

I've hunted the area for 10 years. The type of hunt is really up to you. Deckard Flats and Eagle creek off the roads can be an absolute crap show with people lined up and waiting. Probably not nearly as bad with you being one of the lucky 50, buuuut still. Get out and walk a bit and it isn't too bad. Horse guys (usually outfitters) definitely are hard to compete with at times though. 4 legs are just faster than 2. As far as mature bulls go, in my opinion based on what I have seen, they are certainly FEWER and FARTHER between now days, but they are around. The snow, or lack there of, could really make or break the hunt, but don't necessarily get too focused on park elk. Theres plenty of local elk in there all year round. But if anybody ask, wolves killed em all 😜

Congrats on the tag if you put in for it you want to hunt it for your own reasons, it is a shame what has happened down there it isn't what it used to be for sure, I hope you find a good bull. Do you have access to Horses?
Yes, I do! I put in for this tag because I have a 1 yr old and can’t go super far away for hunting. I live 35 miles away from gardiner. So I’ll be able to shoot down there and hunt most every day. Fingers crossed the weather pushes them out. Have you hunted it before?

I've hunted the area for 10 years. The type of hunt is really up to you. Deckard Flats and Eagle creek off the roads can be an absolute crap show with people lined up and waiting. Probably not nearly as bad with you being one of the lucky 50, buuuut still. Get out and walk a bit and it isn't too bad. Horse guys (usually outfitters) definitely are hard to compete with at times though. 4 legs are just faster than 2. As far as mature bulls go, in my opinion based on what I have seen, they are certainly FEWER and FARTHER between now days, but they are around. The snow, or lack there of, could really make or break the hunt, but don't necessarily get too focused on park elk. Theres plenty of local elk in there all year round. But if anybody ask, wolves killed em all 😜
Yeah my plan is to try and get away from everyone. Definitely planning on walking or riding around and not just sitting on the flats.... going to be doing some scouting this summer to see what other areas they migrate into. I’ll hunt it hard. I’m planning on taking the 2 weeks off and hunting every day. I just need the weather and the elk to cooperate haha I’ll also a sheep tag in my pocket. Hopefully this will be a season to remember!

Since you have horses that use them and get away from people, hope you get the snow/weather to help as well!

Obviously that area isn’t what is used to be, but as one of the 50 tag holders, I think you’ll have a great experience. If you have access to horses, then a lot of neat elk country will be available to you. There’s a whole lot more to that district than Deckard. Enjoy yourself and good luck!

The magazines have always done a number on this area. The lore of hunting elk coming out of the park just draws people in, most of those just want to shoot an elk and talk about it at the bar (OP is not in this group as I can tell). I could write a book here, but alas I will try to give some advice.

My suggestions would be to find places as people free as possible. Might mean camping out (not a terrible thing depending on gear and weather) - but get places you'll think hold elk but are rough for folks to get to, especially in the mornings. Getting up high isn't bad, as long as the bulls can last the distance to safety. Folks are correct in that the outfitters have the area dialed, so cleaning up on scraps OR bulls that got by them is a good tactic. That advice might get you a good look at some cows.

Good luck! Keep posting along here as scouting and the season progresses as you can.

Back