PEAX Equipment

MT 313-45 Elk Permit

No problem.

They do work very hard and know the area better than the elk. But they have been a significant reason the bull to cow ratio is in the dumpster.
I'm not putting it all on them there's other outfitters....

You hear the 80s and 90s and even early 2000s of all him outfitters bringing 13, 14, 15 elk out a whack with mules on cold days..... I've seen the photos......

I won't put it all on him either but some of it is on his operation. Whatever the reasons, there are not enough bulls to support general hunting for three weeks, then two weeks by permit.

I hope the holders of this year's tags enjoy more success than did those of us last year. One young man got a 5x5 that was bedded about 100 yards outside the park. His father and him made a long sneak and long shot to kill it. None of the the other seven or eight permit holders I crossed paths with ever saw a nice bull. About half of them also had horses and used the corrals at the campground.

I won't put it all on him either but some of it is on his operation. Whatever the reasons, there are not enough bulls to support general hunting for three weeks, then two weeks by permit.

I hope the holders of this year's tags enjoy more success than did those of us last year. One young man got a 5x5 that was bedded about 100 yards outside the park. His father and him made a long sneak and long shot to kill it. None of the the other seven or eight permit holders I crossed paths with ever saw a nice bull. About half of them also had horses and used the corrals at the campground.

Hopefully a cold snap will bring some more of the bulls out.... I cant afford an outfitter so this is DIY but I hope there will be some mature bulls hanging around. How many total bulls did you see while hunting?

call what?

He called shortly after the draw that newcomers like yourself would show up trying to extract information from this site claiming that you'll contribute to this site. But in all reality what normally happens is those that first time post saying "hey I drew this permit what do others know about the hunt area and I am not looking for honey holes and information", but disappear never to be heard from again.

You hear the 80s and 90s and even early 2000s of all him outfitters bringing 13, 14, 15 elk out a whack with mules on cold days..... I've seen the photos......
I was there. My son, in high school then, and I both took nice bulls. But it was the worst kind of hunting imaginable ... 'sad era for the northern Yellowstone elk.
One day the parking above Deckard Flats was covered with several elk tagged as illegally shot and confiscated by FWP. Hunters arguing over elk. I departed quickly.

He called shortly after the draw that newcomers like yourself would show up trying to extract information from this site claiming that you'll contribute to this site. But in all reality what normally happens is those that first time post saying "hey I drew this permit what do others know about the hunt area and I am not looking for honey holes and information", but disappear never to be heard from again.

Well I can say that will not be the case here. I hate that people automatically assume that. I have lived in MT for 3 years now and this is my 3rd season. I have harvested 2 bulls, 2 cows, and 2 mule deer bucks all on general public land and because I spend a ton of time scounting and planning. Im not looking for spots. I have great general area hunting spots I can fill my tag with no problem. I just wanted an honest representation of what the unit is like at the end of the season. Thats all.

Well I can say that will not be the case here. I hate that people automatically assume that. I have lived in MT for 3 years now and this is my 3rd season. I have harvested 2 bulls, 2 cows, and 2 mule deer bucks all on general public land and because I spend a ton of time scounting and planning. Im not looking for spots. I have great general area hunting spots I can fill my tag with no problem. I just wanted an honest representation of what the unit is like at the end of the season. Thats all.
Most hope that is the case that you will stick around and contribute, but joining shortly after a draw then asking for information rubs some the wrong way.

Sorry washing dishes but wanted to chime back in... I have nothing against you. It's just that TYPICALLY people get their info and peace out. If you do go ghost on us this thread will surely pop back up next February with someone sarcastically asking how the hunt went ha!

Don’t take it personal. Hopefully you stick around and contribute for years to come. Typically guys show up for 3 weeks after the draw and once the excitement of drawing the tag wears off we never hear from them.

Enjoy your hunt and pray for snow. There are elk that live in the unit year round, but this permit is built for the elk migration. They do shoot some nice elk occasionally, but it’s definitely not easy.

Enjoy the hunt and hopefully you can turn up a nice bull!

Most hope that is the case that you will stick around and contribute, but joining shortly after a draw then asking for information rubs some the wrong way.
Yeah I can see that. Ill be sure to share my tag story and hopefully be able to help the next guy that draws this tag next year. I want to see as much hunting success as possible!

Sorry washing dishes but wanted to chime back in... I have nothing against you. It's just that TYPICALLY people get their info and peace out. If you do go ghost on us this thread will surely pop back up next February with someone sarcastically asking how the hunt went ha!
No worries! I hate that that happens. Again I dont want spots. I knew it would be a migration tag and be weather dependant but just wanted to hear other peoples story on their hunt with this tag. Well ill be sure to let you guys know how the hunt went and wont ghost you haha

Don’t take it personal. Hopefully you stick around and contribute for years to come. Typically guys show up for 3 weeks after the draw and once the excitement of drawing the tag wears off we never hear from them.

Enjoy your hunt and pray for snow. There are elk that live in the unit year round, but this permit is built for the elk migration. They do shoot some nice elk occasionally, but it’s definitely not easy.

Enjoy the hunt and hopefully you can turn up a nice bull!
Thanks! I am hoping it snows and the elk move! Now just need to do some scouting and fine some draws they might use coming out of the park instead of the hot spots! Ill be sure to let you guys know how the hunt went and hopefully ill have a nice bull come this fall.

I was there. My son, in high school then, and I both took nice bulls. But it was the worst kind of hunting imaginable ... 'sad era for the northern Yellowstone elk.
One day the parking above Deckard Flats was covered with several elk tagged as illegally shot and confiscated by FWP. Hunters arguing over elk. I departed quickly.
Been there as well is was beyond bad at that point.

Have realistic expectations. After 8+ years of shed hunting 313, I would shoot the first 340+ bull I saw...unless I knew for a fact something bigger had moved out of the Park. There is always great potential next to YNP, but to be honest the tag is not worth the points needed to draw. It used to be, not anymore.

Have fun with it, enjoy the country, and make it what you want it to be. Bring a wolf tag.

Back