PEAX Equipment

MR Guide Light Frame vs Guide Light MT

tomengineer

I found one thread over at Rokslide on this topic but wasn’t able to find anything here. Is there any significant difference difference between these two? I read there is an updated belt on the guide light MT. I’m just wondering if this is like when Apple introduces a new model each year that has a new charging port and it’s $100 more....half kidding but I ask because the guide light version is on sale for $399. Thanks in advance.

I found one thread over at Rokslide on this topic but wasn’t able to find anything here. Is there any significant difference difference between these two? I read there is an updated belt on the guide light MT. I’m just wondering if this is like when Apple introduces a new model each year that has a new charging port and it’s $100 more....half kidding but I ask because the guide light version is on sale for $399. Thanks in advance.

Biggest differences are the buckles are a slightly different, lower profile design, the frame construction method is also a bit different and uses different textiles -- a bit more robust, a bit lighter. The waistbelt is improved quite a bit with the 5-piece wrap design, and the addition of MOLLE webbing makes adding holsters, GPS, bear spray, etc. easy. Also, among the styles of packs there are improvements/refinements from the prior version -- you will see it on the Marshall, Metcalf, and Pintler. A lot to write up, but ping me if you have specific questions.

GoHunt has a video of the new 2020 MR offerings. It looks like the made some subtle but nice upgrades to the line up.

Biggest differences are the buckles are a slightly different, lower profile design, the frame construction method is also a bit different and uses different textiles -- a bit more robust, a bit lighter. The waistbelt is improved quite a bit with the 5-piece wrap design, and the addition of MOLLE webbing makes adding holsters, GPS, bear spray, etc. easy. Also, among the styles of packs there are improvements/refinements from the prior version -- you will see it on the Marshall, Metcalf, and Pintler. A lot to write up, but ping me if you have specific questions.
Ok thanks. I did see these upgrades but I’ve never owned a high end pack so I’m just not sure what’s important to me yet.

Yes I think I saw this on YouTube. Do you feel these upgrades warrant the cost increase?

from what I gathered from various post, it varies on your size, shape and level of experience.
Some wants latest American Made Ford or Chevy....some are happy with a 2-yr old Nissan Titan
it comes down to your mileage may vary (YMMV)

IF...if you dipping your feet...get a used Guidelight frame pack...if it didn't work out, your not out $400+

I'm trying to recoup my loss (by selling it here) on my Guidelight Frame waist belt for my Pintler due to lack of sexy hips. The new Guidelight MT/ Sawtooth 45 waist belt wraps better...but slips in the lumbar...so I added OV Innovation MEAN PAD for added support.
Both frames bought only when BlackOvis had a sale.

If you’re truly putting on the miles yes. If you’ll only the pack for an elk hunt every year no. Also think about what other things could you upgrade with the money saved.
Agree....Extra $100 towards on spotting scope or range finder.

If you’re truly putting on the miles yes. If you’ll only the pack for an elk hunt every year no. Also think about what other things could you upgrade with the money saved.
Yes this is a good way to think about it.

I went from the NICE frame to the Guide Light MT, so I skipped a frame generation. The new waist belt is a big improvement. As to whether it's worth the $100? Hard to say. I don't know your budgetary situation. I'm pretty cheap, but I'll spend money for good and functional gear. For $100 I would buy the newer frame. If it was several hundred I'd probably reconsider. I am guessing MR will transition all of their new bags to the newer buckle system, and if you want to add a bag in the future that could be a consideration as well.

I have them both, used them both in AZ a few weeks ago, maybe 5 days on the new frame and probably 50 plus days with guide lite frames. To me the biggest improvement is the molle webbing.... everything else isn’t anything to write home about.

Just FYI I’m case this helps... I just purchased the metcalf 2019 model from Black Ovis for $362. To me the upgrades were not worth another $150 or so.

Just FYI I’m case this helps... I just purchased the metcalf 2019 model from Black Ovis for $362. To me the upgrades were not worth another $150 or so.
Ok thanks I saw Black Ovis had some but I thought they were only the small size. I'll double check.

I have them both, used them both in AZ a few weeks ago, maybe 5 days on the new frame and probably 50 plus days with guide lite frames. To me the biggest improvement is the molle webbing.... everything else isn’t anything to write home about.
Ok thanks, I think I'll grab the old model.

I upgraded my Guidelight Metcalf the second I heard about the upgrades. Everything I might complain about in it was fixed in the new one.

One if the biggest things for me was how the pack comes off to haul meat. The new way is just a couple of buckles instead if unduing everything on the pack. So much nicer.

I'd say it is worth it to get the upgrade. Very much so.

I upgraded my Guidelight Metcalf the second I heard about the upgrades. Everything I might complain about in it was fixed in the new one.

One if the biggest things for me was how the pack comes off to haul meat. The new way is just a couple of buckles instead if unduing everything on the pack. So much nicer.

I'd say it is worth it to get the upgrade. Very much so.
Well dang kind friend I already bought the old one. We’ll see how it treats me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back