Caribou Gear

MR 7500 Daypack Lid question

bigeasygator

Hey guys, just purchased a 7500 and so far so good. Getting ready to put it to use in the high country of Colorado. I do have one issue that I could use some help with. The Daypack Lid seems to slide down and ride low, and when it's loaded up with gear tends to pull away from the pack. Keep in mind this is with a lightly loaded main pack. Even when I have the top buckles cinched as tight as possible it will slide down. Do any of you have suggestions for making the Lid ride up higher? It also concerns me as it exposes the top of the pack and if I get any weather with a lightly loaded pack I'd prefer the Daypack Lid ride on top to cover the top of the pack. Here's a pic of where it tends to go when the pack isn't loaded. I can't find any logical ways to cinch it down to keep it from sliding low. Thanks in advance!

AD9BDC82-C853-41A7-A219-82369DF366B1-8545-000005299B81745C.jpg

Good question. I have a crewcab and the lid does the same. And the buckles tend to wrap around the side of the NICE frame making it worse. Bad design or operator error.

Hope you get helpful responses but their are not a lot of adjustment options...

In you pic it looks like you have not tightened the connecting straps all the way, so hard to telll just how low it slides after being cinched tight? Presume you have looked closely at the various 7500 pics on MR website. You are adjusted differently and not as cinched down all the way at the top as in their pics.

Khunter,

Thanks for the response. I tried to speak to that in my post saying that even when I do cinch them all the way down it slides down. The issue to me is the buckles are too far to the side and ends up sliding around the top of the bag. Seems like it would help if the buckles were closer to the center of the bag.

Looks like it ought to buckle up over to that shoulder strap there when you load it up? (note: I do not own one, just drool everytime I see MR pack in the tag line :) Hope you find an answer.

The 7500 is a huge pack meant for long backcountry trips. If you fill it up, the lid should ride on top like it's supposed to. You don't have enough gear in there right now to even fill up the longbow...

I rarely use the lid... I hate it, its heavy, and packs like shit when loaded. The thing empty is almost 2 pounds.

I think MR makes a new lid, with a single pocket thats a lot smaller. I was looking into it a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it fits on the 7500/6500 class packs or not though.

Crossing over the straps is a great idea that I'll try. It is a big pack and I know it'll ride higher if it's fully packed but I know it also won't be fully packed. I like the lid for the ability to separate small items. Also, I worry based on the drawstring closure that the main compartment won't always have a tight seal which is why I really want to make sure the lid rides on top. Thanks for the responses thus far!

Run the straps to the inside of your load lifter straps, and then get rid of the excess length and roll up the strap with the velcro that is attached to prevent the creep from coming down.. The load lifters will stop the side to side motion, and it shouldn't interfere with their function.

Run the straps to the inside of your load lifter straps, and then get rid of the excess length and roll up the strap with the velcro that is attached to prevent the creep from coming down.. The load lifters will stop the side to side motion, and it shouldn't interfere with their function.

That's a better idea I think...kind of one of those "duh" moments looking at it!! Thanks sreekers!

Taking into account the suggestions above, I tried a few different configurations when I got home. I also discovered the load stabilizer buckles were closer to the middle of the pack when I looked closer (not sure how I missed these unused buckles). Anyway, hooking the pack up directly to the load stabilizer (not load lifter) buckles didn't quite do the trick. I tried running them up under the load lifter straps as sreekers recommended and that seemed to mess with the load lifters too much (given the nature of the daylid being somewhat rigid). I also tried to use the grab handle at the top of the pack to run the strap and buckle through...this didn't seem to work great either. The best configuration I found was using the load stabilizer buckles and crossing the straps over. Here's a few pics that illustrate what I'm talking about. You'll see the now unused daylid buckles off to the side of the pack.
CC587C6B-2206-4910-945C-7A33207A95F0-9101-0000057F272E0883.jpg

8F80818C-E227-4568-8FDB-A0C621DC3E6A-9101-0000057F1F852A0D.jpg

I'll add that the lid is unsupported in those pictures and you can see it remains pretty much at the top of the pack. Certainly an improvement over the positioning I was getting using the other clips with the pack in a relatively empty state.

I have the same problem with mine. It's a 6000 but the lid position sucks big time. It never rides over the top of the pack. It ends up hanging beyond the frame stays and when you have some gear in it, it just sags even farther down. This was my second time using it and I"m taking in into MR to have them attach some buckles to some existing hardware on the pack. I was looking and I have 2 plastic attachment points one on each side of that webbing handle on the back. If I can get buckles attached to it that would solve the problem of it riding too high and forward. I tried all the mentioned ideas as well and will they help it is still not right.
Either I'm doing something wrong or this is a design flaw that sucks. Pretty sure I can have them help me out with the quick fix.

Here's a shot of the attachments on my bag that I want to put the buckles on. Not sure if you'res has these same things but being able to attach to both of those should fix the problem
2012-08-22 001 001 (640x480).jpg

I have the 7500 but haven’t had the problem you are referring to. I’m usually packing a load and the lid rides on top. I usually pack in as much as packing out. I can understand you packing in a light load in order to have the room for packing meat out.
I’m not sure of the attachments that Lawnboy has. I attach the lid to the two buckles closest to the handle.
Just an ideal, I haven’t tried, you might use sternum strap on the lid straps ,you will loose about an inch of adjustment but should be fine. http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/hunting-pack-accessories/chestie-rec

I had an extra one to try, you should have one on the lid shoulder straps. By using the outer buckles or the ones close to the handle. I think this will work for you.
Maybe you can tell by the pics what I’m talking about.

Attachments

• DSC_3300.JPG
    DSC_3300.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_3301.JPG
    DSC_3301.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC_3303.JPG
    DSC_3303.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_3304.JPG
    DSC_3304.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC_3307.JPG
    DSC_3307.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 249
When I get home I will post what I did to stabilize mine on my EMR Frame. It appears that a similar solution could be had on the 7500.

Sorry birddog I misunderstood your problem but still have one of my own:( I'll try your idea as well. It looks like my pack is a bit different in design for sure. Good luck

The ladder lock buckles, from what I have found are the main issue. Even on the load lifters, they failed to hold in place, they simply slid back into the fully extended position, not real handy with a near empty pack. Imho the lids on any design pack are more of a gimick than of any serious use, they simply get in the way.

Lawnboy,

Does the 6500 have the extra set of buckles closer to the handle (load stabilizer buckles)? I didn't see the clips on the 7500 but they look like they are essentially where those load stabilizer buckles are on the 7500.

Huntfit,

Have you tried crossing them over? It seems to work better as the weight isn't pulling down in line with the strap/buckle. Instead, the weight is going at an angle closer to perpendicular and it's a lot harder for the strap to loosen up when attached to the buckle.

Lawnboy, send me your email via pm. I have some pics on my phone that may help, but can't get them to upload.

Back