Moving to Utah

wyomingtim

Well, it is finally here. We are heading off to Utah on July 22. Will be living in the Bountiful area for now. I look forward to getting back to a state that I can hunt easier than Nebraska. Also looking forward to meeting a few more of you guys.

Sweet! Another Utard! Why not just live in Idaho and commute? My brother-in-law flies for Skywest Airlines and lives in Preston.

Moosie - what happened? I know I have been gone for a bit, but I just noticed the name change. Nope, not Gov yet. I was considering a run for State Legislature, and stood a good chance, but I wouldn't have been able to serve the time in office and be able to survive. I know you don't (shouldn't) hold those positions to get rich, but my family couldn't survive on $1000/month. So the political ambitions will just have to wait until another time.

As far as living in Idaho, that wouldn't be bad, but my daughter got accepted to a private school in the Sugarhouse area of Salt Lake that is going to be best for her educational needs. So we are restricted to the Salt Lake area.

You say you are "restricted" to the Salt Lake area. Man, you must'a been awful bad to get put on that kind of restriction. I consider the Salt Lake valley to be somewhat akin to Outer Darkness. Look on the bright side if Salt Lake is Outer Darkness then Bountiful/Woods Cross/North Salt Lake would be HELL.:D Think I'll stay in Montana. On a more serious note, Nebraska is worse hunting than Utah? I didn't know that was possible, especially considering all the tag restrictions and short seasons in Utah.

Big Sky - restricted to the Salt Lake area due to the location of my daughter's school.

As far as the hunting, there is just a lot more public land in UT than in NE. I also can only get 1 elk tag for my entire life. Just more species and more opportunity to hunt without paying trespass fees. Looking forward to it.

wyomingtim,
You are correct that Utah has a lot of public land. I hunted the daylights out of it for nearly two decades. Trouble is, so do a lot of other people. I understand things are getting a little better in regards to deer and elk, or rather opportunities for deer and elk down there. I saw Utah at it's worst, so I guess it didn't have much else to do other than improve. I hope it treats you well and much better than Nebraska. I've never hunted Nebraska so I haven't got a clue how the two states compare. I'd heard the hunting in the Sand Hills of Nebraska was pretty decent though. Any truth to that? Anyway, best of luck to you and your family.

Big Sky - depends on what you are hunting and who you want to pay how much for access. I think the access is the hardest part. I took my wife deer hunting once on some public land near here and I was afraid to shoot at anything because from where I was sitting I was able to count no less than 8 other hunters, and I wasn't using binos. Needless to say, we got out of there rather quick, because I know that a lot of 'hunters' wouldn't have the same feeling about shooting my direction.

If you can get access, the panhandle of NE has great deer, waterfowl and upland bird hunting. Antelope is available, but not in big numbers, and not big in size. Elk can be HUGE, but it is very difficult to draw, then you need access to private land because most elk are off public land fairly quickly.

I seem to remember a few more Utah guys on here. Was hoping to get with them and figure out the regs over there. I know I will have to wait for next season to hunt, but I can go along for this first season.

Back