Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Moving to Arizona

Epitome

Hey all, I’ve looked in the forum and I’m sure this question has already been asked but here it goes anyway. I am a Michigan boy moving out to arizona(Phoenix area) and I’m an avid outdoorsman. The tag system confuses me since in Michigan I just go buy the white tail tag when I want to hunt. Is all big game species a draw? I know they have over the counter tags and also public land is an enigma as well. I know that’s a lot but some insight would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

Mark Richards

Public land is pretty simple in AZ. Tons of BLM and most state land is open to hunting. You need a permit for hiking, scouting, etc on state land but it's cheap. You'll see signs, " posted without proper permit." Your hunting license is your permit if actually hunting.

OTC is deer archery. Different times for different GMU's. Check AZGFD for draw dates. Vary by species. Elk and antelope are in Feb. think you need six months to qualify as a resident.

Ben Avery is a great shooting range north of Phoenix. It's owned by and next to Game and Fish.

If a chance you will move away from AZ, buy the lifetime hunting license. That license can only be sold to a resident but can be used by a non-resident to be in the resident portion of the draw (90% of tags) though will pay the non-resident fee if not a resident. Having a shot at 9x the tags is sort of a big deal.

Thank you both so much. Definitely pointed me in the right direction! And thanks for the range name, Was wondering where I would sight in my rifle around here!

I've lived here all my life and never heard of having a permit for hiking or scouting.
You do need a permit to camp on BLM land.And I have never seen a sign that says you need a
permit to hike and scout.:cool:

I've lived here all my life and never heard of having a permit for hiking or scouting.
You do need a permit to camp on BLM land.And I have never seen a sign that says you need a
permit to hike and scout.:cool:

You need a recreation permit to go on AZ State Trust land if you’re not hunting. Atleast that’s what the state land website says.

Epitome, what part of Phoenix are you looking to buy in?

Good free maps that show access to AZ public land.

The deer and sheep application period is right around the corner. You might want to apply even with NR status. I moved to AZ from WI 12 years ago. I live in Chandler now, Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

The deer and sheep application period is right around the corner. You might want to apply even with NR status. I moved to AZ from WI 12 years ago. I live in Chandler now, Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, apply for sheep and deer point. Sure, you need to buy a non-resident license but that will cover you until reach residency status. There is another application period towards early November for other species then the spring application. Some species (bison, javelina) are in two application periods so can get two points per year. Applying as non-resident for now will speed up when you hit the 5 consecutive years (extra point as long as keep up the string of 5 consecutive years for that species) and one more point is always a good thing.

Ahhh, the Phoenix metro area which seems to go on for ever and ever and it's 4.7 million residents. Your first summer will test your will for sure. You'll think Satan has come home to roost. Luckily the much cooler mountains are not too far away.
Good luck with your move.104238

Thank you everyone. We still haven’t decided where in Phoenix or around Phoenix we will land. The summers I am curious about. I guess, here we go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back