Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Moving from N.C. to Idaho advice

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

My wife and I will be moving in a year and I wanted to see if anyone had any “outside the box” ideas for getting all of our stuff to Idaho.

We probably will have 9000 to 10000 pounds of stuff and have looked at the following methods.

Uhual... did a coast to coast with a 26 footer with a car trailer when I was 28. I don’t think my body or mental state is up for that again.

Pods..2 pods are 9000 bucks with a 4800 pound limit on each pod.

Tractor trailer (rent by the foot) looks to be around 5 or 6 thousand but I have not got a hard number yet.

I have not got any quotes for a door to door service but I know that will be expensive.

We are planning on boxing our stuff up ourselves so no packing fee.

If anyone has done the tractor trailer deal I love to hear your experiences as we are leaning that way.

Thanks!!

I've done the tractor trailer rental. They load it, and drive it for you. Definitely worth doing.

Also, get your NC lifetime licences before you leave.

No good answer. Sell/donate a lot of your stuff before you move. We did a uhaul Oklahoma to Idaho 13 years ago, I wish I had only saved half the stuff I moved.

Idaho will be full after we get there...🤣. We have started getting rid of stuff so we aren’t rushed when the time comes.. I have sold a lot of stuff already with the backpacking thought... “every ounce counts”...

Thanks for the feedback!!

We have a f150 but will be pulling a boat. We are shipping 2 vehicles (81 toy pickup and 65 mustang)... did I mention we have a lot of stuff...😬
I would say so. I was going to recommend a large enclosed trailer and sell it when you get there.

I moved from PA to TX 5 years ago and did the following.

1. Sold as much big stuff as I could.
2. Rented a tractor trailer, they dropped it off in my driveway and we had two days to load it.
3. Hired local movers to help my wife and I load the trailer.
4. Put our most valuable stuff in a uhaul and drove it to TX. (Guns, hunting gear, mounts and some of my wife's stuff)
5. Tractor trailer showed up in TX and had two days to unload it. We hired local movers to help us unload it (did it in less than a day)

I was 45 at the time and didn't want to kill myself lifting. The movers were a huge help. We had everything labeled and they got it into the right room for us. We did all our own packing. Selling a lot of stuff had a big impact, but we still move a lot of stuff. We were in our old house for 18 years, amazing the amount of stuff you accumulate.

Dreading the thought of ever having to move again!

I did the ABF Upack about 15 years ago. The temporary wall they provided to separate your stuff from other cargo collapsed and a bunch of dishes and picture frames got broken. It was the least expensive option for moving from Nebraska to Virginia.

If I ever have to move again I am having a fire! :)

My wife and I are moving to Spain within a year. Please send prayers as I have to part with 90% of my hunting gear (guns stay in my cold dead hands, etc). I'm thinking fire is going to be the only option for the rest of the crap. I might be able to muster the patience for a yard sale but we will see.

spud, if you need someone to babysit some firearms, I'll treat them just like my own, take them out and feed them once in a while, take them for walks, prop them beside me while I read hemmingway, you know that kinda stuff.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back